1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice New build ~£800 (excl O/S)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Sanguineangel, 3 Feb 2012.

1. Sanguineangel

Sanguineangel What's a Dremel?

Hi guys

I am wondering if you could take a look at the system I am putting together for the missus.

The purpose of the system is largely going to graphic design, photoshop etc., perhaps a little 3D modelling (but nothing too heavy).

The budget is about £800 with the proviso of making it as awesome and fit for purpose as possible with the funds available. However, if you guys can see any parts where I can shave some cash off the price as well as just assessing the quality of the built I'd be much obliged.

CPU: i7 2600K
    Motherboard: Asus P8z68-V LX
    Memory: 4x4GB Corsair 1600 Vengeance 1.5 CL9
    Storage: OCZ Agility 3 120Gb SSD
    And: Western Digital 2Tb SATA III 64Mb Cache
    GPU: Gigabyte NVIDIA GTX550 Ti
    Case: BitFenix Shinobi Black She loves this case
    PSU: Antec TruePower New 550 Modular
    Optical: LiteOn 24x DVD RW

Thanks! :thumb:

Last edited: 3 Feb 2012
  2. murraynt

murraynt Modder

Looks good mate.

You might not see any benefit with the 2600k over the 25000K unless she will be doing alot of rendering.

I would change the ram to the low profile versions as you won't have as much trouble with fitting heatsinks
    http://www.ebuyer.com/274037-corsai...profile-memory-kit-cl9-1-5v-cml16gx3m4a1600c9

I've had one of them ssd's and you don't get anything near he performance as advertised, as you can see in the bit-Tech review.
    http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/storage/2011/08/17/ocz-agility-3-240gb-review/1

If the projects are large then it would be good idea to use an ssd as a scratch disk

A 400 watt power supply should be loads.
    I have one of these in my brothers rig and I can't fault it at all. One of the best psu's i've ever bought.
    http://www.ebuyer.com/271798-corsair-430w-v2-cx-series-psu-cmpsu-430cxv2uk

That's a sweet case for the money. It looks well in white aswell.

It's well worth putting in an aftermarket heatsink aswell.
    Something like the geild tranquillo or the coolermaster hyper 212 + evo would be perfect.

3. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

Seems like a really good build to me. I'd probably stick with the orignal PSU, purely because it allows for easy upgrades later on. Not fond of the case but that's personal preference lol

Oh and
    I want a 25000K! :D lol But I'd go for the i7 over the i5, purely so the power is there to be used if needed.

Last edited: 3 Feb 2012
  4. Arednel

Arednel What's a Dremel?

Me too :D :thumb:

5. jamesn

jamesn What's a Dremel?

i went for an i7 over an i5 for what seems to be same reasons as you! i dont really NEED the i7, but i like knowing it is there for when it is called on... i have a very similar mobo and it is great!

6. Sanguineangel

Sanguineangel What's a Dremel?

Hi guys, thanks for the input.

I was initially concerned on the Agility 3 as well, but a bit more reading seemed to suggest that those problems have since been fixed. Is there still cause for concern?

I am largely torn on the i5/i7 question at the moment. I suspect she will end up with the i7 though, as she would like the system to last as long as possible. To be fair I have been running a C2D E8400 since it first came out really and it still blows through anything I ask of it with ease so I suspect that the i7 will last a while.

7. ninjaplease

ninjaplease I don't know what I'm doing

I don't know if anyone else said it but 16GB RAM is excessive, personally I'd save that money and get a bigger/better SSD...