Motors Removing battery from Focus 2005(55) 2.0 TDCi Titanium

Discussion in 'General' started by Prophet, 9 Feb 2012.

1. Prophet

Prophet Minimodder

Hey guys,

So simple question. Anyone know of the method to remove the battery from the compartment of a Focus 2.0 TDCi Titanium.

It looks to me as if it's held in place with a retaining bar across the top which is easy enough to remove, But the thing battery itself is pretty long and extends back underneath the plastic deflector/wiper mount/screen shroud thing. Was kinda after clarification if it needed to be removed and also the best way to go around it, or even if it can stay in place for the job.

So if anyone knows anything feel free to input.

Ta muchly,
    Prophet

2. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

It should have full instructions in the handbook, but I'll take a stab at: Remove plastic covers, disconnect terminals (-ve first), remove retaining strap, wiggle out of compartment.

Should be a fairly easy job.

What's it got to come out for?

3. Prophet

Prophet Minimodder

Need to charge it, or at least the Garage reckons that should fix the issue it was giving me, apparently Fords and the motorcraft batts REALLY dislike the cold weather with metal housing chilling them right down and all that. I have a charger so before chucking in a new battery they said give it a good charge up first. If it turns out that doesn't sort it then yea I'll drop 115quid on a battery, but I'd rather exhaust the cheaper options first.

As for the handbook I couldn't see anything in there about it. Well, there is a bit but it's like 1 paragraph with some warning about disconnecting the battery. I am aware of the process, and what you say seems like the method to me, however, I guess you haven't seen the engine bay of the car? I mean, It is chock full, Now way the battery will come forward more than an inch or so, and it extends back, like I said, right underneath the deflector which holds the wipers on.

Knowing Ford that will have to come off... I mean, halfords and ats won't even change a passenger side bulb as they insist you have to take out the battery and it's too fiddly (I managed to change the bulb easy enough though, 1 screw and a clip and the whole light unit comes out forwards).

Neil.

4. Krikkit

I'm sure there's some way to do it without getting too dismantle-happy. Think outside the box!

Tbh I'd just put the charger in the engine bay, connect it up and close the bonnet, assuming there's room of course!

[edit] Looking at the bay, if you can't pull the forward end up enough to clear the air filter housing (once the battery cover's off) then you'll have to get that off. It's not too bad in there, just a bit plastic-happy!

[​IMG]

5. Prophet

Prophet Minimodder

Yea that's exactly it, see it goes a good 5-6inch under the wiper shroud bit. Can try taking the filter housing off I guess that might allow enough give, It looks like it could be a real pain to get the -ve off whilst it is in situ though.. It's is quite deep.

Unfortunately I can't charge it up in the bay as I live in a 3rd floor flat and have no access to a plug in range of the car. Worst comes to worst and I can't get it out I'll have to ask on the downstairs flat if I can leech their power and run an ex cord out the windows if I have one long enough and can get the car close enough.

6. Krikkit

It does sound a bit testing if there's that much battery poking under the scuttle cover, I'd get the air filter disassembled and work it from there, I'm sure you can get it out after that.

Prophet likes this.
  7. Prophet

Prophet Minimodder

Righto, Sounds like a good place to start. Will have a pootle around this afternoon unless anyone comes in with some better suggestions. Much appreciated though krikkit! :D

8. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

You shouldn't need to remove it to charge it, is there a reason you want to?

9. Prophet

Prophet Minimodder

Read the thread at all? :p

And I'll add - I've not long moved to this area so don't really know any body to ask. Heck I've never even met the people who live in the downstairs flats as I work nights, So I was trying to avoid having to ask one of them if I could.

10. Prometheus

Prometheus Minimodder

I'm fairly sure the plastic panel is only held in with clips, just undo the front ones so that the panel will lift up, otherwise it means removing the wipers etc to remove it completely.

RANT: I swear when they design modern cars they make it as difficult as possible to do something that shouldn't need to be, like having to disassemble half the front end to change a head light bulb. If it blows when your miles from anywhere you have no hope of just popping another one in and carrying on

11. Picarro

Picarro What's a Dremel?

You bet. In the old (2007) Kia Cee'd changing the lightbulb in the headlight requires you to have hands the size of a dolls. It took me the better part of an hour to change the lightbulb in the front headlight.

12. RevDarny

RevDarny Minimodder

13. Krikkit

Nice try, but that manual applies to the US Focus, which is what we call a Mondeo. :)

14. RevDarny

RevDarny Minimodder

Epic Fail :wallbash:

15. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

Go for a really long drive. That should charge it a bit at least.

16. RevDarny

RevDarny Minimodder

Had a look into this, there may be a clamping bolt at the bottom of the battery on the left hand side. Not all focus's have this. Hope this helps.

17. Tomhyde1986

Tomhyde1986 What's a Dremel?

I'm sure you know this but just don't forget when you disconnect the battery you will lose all tuned radio stations etc. Kinda irritating but not exactly a huge drama.

Not strictly on topic and a minor thread hyjack but this should make you all laugh. I had a drama once when my car battery ran flat. I jump started it but due to the age of the vehicle it has an annoying quirk that once the engine starts the central locking resets itself.

I started the car after jumping it off my mums. The wind blew the door shut as the central locking reset locking the keys in the ignition, me outside the car and the engine running and a full tank of fuel.

I was not amused.:wallbash:

18. sjamppo

sjamppo Minimodder

...but luckily with the bonnet still open you could easily stop the engine again... no?

Or did the door close just after you dropped the bonnet shut?
    :duh:

Adding to this 'car-running-can't-turn-it-off':

We ones owned an old Citroën BX Diesel. As it was a totally mechanical diesel, the only electricity 12v it really needed was to keep the shutoff-valve open.. guess what happened when that valve was faulty and kept open?

Very weird experience,. turing of the car (dashboard lights go out) getting out, lock it.. and than to notice the engine is still running... what the duck!

19. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

Gah! Not sure how I missed that!

I'd have a look through the forums on ffoc.co.uk, when I had my ST170 it was a god-send for finding out how to do everything without having a Haynes manual!

20. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

Why not just have the garage do it? Or the dealer?
    And I assume this is a lead acid battery? They only go 5 years on average so don't waste time with a charger or driving the car for hours. When they go, they go.
    And replace it with a good quality battery. No need to go through this again next winter.

On a side note that doesn't look too hard. Some cars require a tire to be removed to get access to the battery. Others are a two hour job with proper tools. Once you have the retaining clip off I would just remove the cover for the air filter and yank it out.