News Report suggests the UK is a console nation

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 14 Feb 2012.

1. mighty_pirate

mighty_pirate What's a Dremel?

Is everyone under the pretence that back in the day PC was bigger than the SNES & Megadrive? Because it wasn't. As long as there have been major league consoles they've dominated the market.

2. scott_chegg

scott_chegg Minimodder

Vorsprung durch PC's

3. mjm25

mjm25 What's a Dremel?

Too true, HOWEVER they falsely market the product as being good for gaming, so when a punter wanders back into PC World and buys BF3, they get it home and wonder why it won't run.

4. x5pilot

x5pilot Fragile explosion

Does this mean that we're better sourcing our hardware purchases in Germany, ie thru German websites?
    Surely if there is a high demand/emphasis on PC gaming in Germany the prices of components (Im thinking motherboards, cpus here) are worth sourcing there?
    Can anyone recommend the equivalent of Scan in Germany?!

5. Jedibeeftrix

Jedibeeftrix What's a Dremel?

agreed! :D

6. daletur328

daletur328 What's a Dremel?

Pcspezialist is in some ways similar to scan. You also have case king and Aquatuning for all those special water parts, but who ever said the prices are similar, has never shopped over here. I live in Germany and still shop in uk stores, especially for games, ( my German isn't great). They Are extortionate, but in general their knowledge of the PC surpasses us Brits by miles, sorry to say. Their schools are great in teaching the IT subjects and virtually everyone from teenagers to grannies have some sort of PC and all know how to use it.
    As long as Uk schools teach our younger generation to only us the mouse and software, they will continue to use consoles, and the likes of the IT industry will continue to keep moving forward stronger over here and other countries surrounding than in the UK.

7. daletur328

daletur328 What's a Dremel?

What's also good over here in Germany is that you can go in to shop, either supermarket or equivelant of Curries and still get Pc software and games, and some places the section is bigger than console. Just a pity about the "non-violent, won't upset your granny versions". And the price!

8. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

You obviously don't know much about computer gaming history. That "domination" you speak about started with the first PlayStation, if anything.

9. Xir

Xir Modder

Comes from the love for producing and playing point-n-click adventures...they just don't exist for consoles :D

Nope...USA is way cheaper. UK is cheaper for games.

You can try:
    For checking prices the best website for the German region is:
    Geizhals.at (then choose Germany (the german flag) or europe, the european flag) as it defaults to Austria, which is a tad more expensive.

Good Webshops (that have existed for a long time):
    Hardwareversand.de (in english)
    Mindfactory.de
    alternate.de
    kmcomputer.de

10. mikeuk2004

mikeuk2004 What you Looking at Fool!

Skip

Last edited: 15 Feb 2012
  11. mikeuk2004

mikeuk2004 What you Looking at Fool!

Come again? I must have slept through the Personal Computer domination (for gaming) prior1995. The BBC, acorns, electron, Atari ST and Amigas etc were very popular back then but when it came to gaming these PC's were still dominated by console gamers.

12. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

We must remember the last 30 odd years very differently. There was the Commodore 64, followed by the Commodore Amiga and then the PC came into its prime in the early 90s. During that period consoles played only a very minor role, mostly as kids' toys.

13. mighty_pirate

mighty_pirate What's a Dremel?

That "very minor role" was around 50million sales worldwide for the SNES alone. The PC's best sellers of that time; Doom, Myst, Theme Park, Populous were all overshadowed by the premiere titles of each console, let alone their combined sales. And the sales of A500's & A1200's would I doubt be more than a few million combined.
    You're right that most consoles were for kids, they still are. But that doesn't mean they have less market power.
    The PS1 was just the first console to top 100m sales. Escalating consoles market representation surely, but not pushing them ahead, they already were.

14. driftingphil

driftingphil What's a Dremel?

Forza 4 is xbox only! that is the reason i have an xbox, very annoying when your playing with kids which punt you off on the first corner.

15. tp148

tp148 Minimodder

My reason for being a PCer and nothing else is the versatility of said machine. The overall gaming experience walks all over consoles of today. I can do so much more with a PC than just play games. However I don't object to people who have consoles just for playing games, because let's be honest not everyone lives for 60fps, full 1080p visual magic, they just want to shoot stuff!

Sent from Bittech Android app

16. stealth2k

stealth2k What's a Dremel?

"NPD's analysis shows that gamers in most other nations have ditched theirs in favour of getting their portable gaming fixes on smartphones and tablets."

Is this why in europe, japan, US the 3ds has already shattered records? It was the number 1 selling game device in 2011 in 9 months

Tags: Add Tags