1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PSU PSU or CPU?

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by 27trowels, 23 Feb 2012.

1. 27trowels

27trowels What's a Dremel?

Hi All,

looking for a little advice dealing with a problem which is giving me massive headaches.

Comp (in Sig) was built last march and was good and stable for around 6 months but since then it has been getting progressively more unstable. (quick note everything is running at stock as it was plenty fast enough and I was planning to overclock once I started feeling the machine slow down)

It started with problems waking from sleep - it would fail to reload but not turn off and had to be hard reset. I turned off powersaving and problem went away for a while.

This then came back and when I tried to restart the red CPU LED would come on and again all fans would run but it would not boot. I took it all apart and put everything back together and this seemed to work but a couple weeks later it started doing this almost every time I restarted. The only way to get it to boot was to turn the whole machine off at the plug for several hours - if I left it plugged in the red CPU problem would still be there on restart.

When the machine did boot it worked perfectly - temps were all fine and machine was stable and just the same as it had been before problems started.

The problem has now progressed even further though and I am now getting serious lag + cpu spikes. Temps are still fine (all cores around 30c idle 38 - 45 under normal load). I think it might be my psu dying as CPUID HM is showing all my voltages minimum values hit 0.01 (0.25 for cpu) which seems far too low to be normal?

I'm hoping the combined knowledge of BitTech might be able to give me some advice on other possibilities/ confirm my hypothesis. I'm fine to buy new PSU as it is oldest part of the machine but don't want to find problem is still there and its actually the CPU or something else (especially as its very close to a year since purchase and I'm not sure what warranty is).

Help greatly appreciated.

2. lysaer

lysaer Suck my unit! Kirk lazarus (2008)

Do you know anyone you could borrow a PSU from?

Sent from my HTC Sensation XE with Beats Audio Z715e using Tapatalk

3. 27trowels

27trowels What's a Dremel?

unfortunately not, but that would be a quick way to test so Ill ask around at work - any other ideas?

4. Mark_Skeldon

Mark_Skeldon What's a Dremel?

Use a multimeter if you have one and check that the PSU is giving out a good +12v/5v/3v.

You can try this with the PSU disconnected and by shorting pins shown below on the 24pin mobo connector:

[​IMG]

Connect it all back up and try reading them again to see if the voltage is significantly lower. It shouldn't be.
    The CPU wouldn't run at all with those voltages, so not too sure how it is reporting them I'm afraid.

Best option would be to try another PSU, or try your PSU in another machine.

One thing I would do is make sure all of the connectors are seated correctly. Pull them all out including any sata/molex/pci-e. Everything.

Then check that all the pins are actually sticking right through the plastic connectors they are housed in, and there is no 'threads' of wire shorting anything out. Not sure if your PSU is modular or not, but if it is do the same on the PSU side by re-seating :)