Music Beats or cheapy headphones?

Discussion in 'General' started by Guest-89078, 7 Mar 2012.

1. Chr!s

Chr!s What's a Dremel?

2. modfx

modfx Loft Gremlin

I tried my Beats owning mate out with my Vulcan ANCs AND HD 558s. He admitted that mine had far better sound but refused to back down on the grounds that "Beats are cool":wallbash:

3. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

Fashion statements is what they are, hence when I got my J-tees I tried them out first.

sent from HTC Sensation

4. Tangster

Tangster Butt-kicking for goodness!

I have a few of those, great earphones to carry around for emergencies if you forget your normal pair or it breaks. Don't compare too well to my standard in-ears or over ears though. (Shure Se425's and Denon HD2000 respectively)

5. lm_wfc

lm_wfc Minimodder

6. €gr€s

€gr€s What's a Dremel?

You've got to be kidding.. I've spent 10 minutes looking for my password to write this reply (mostly a lurker on these boards), because:

a) I am most definitely sure I don't want anything called Fanny Wang near my face.
    b) As it happens, I am a computer hardware reviewer and those headphones (model 1000) are sitting on my desk as I write this. You wouldn't believe how uncomfortable they are. They sit on ears, not around them (series 2000 and 3000 are bigger, they should sit around ear), squishing the ear so it is not possible for me and another 4~5 people I showed them to to listen for more than 30 minutes.
    c) Few days ago I accidentally got hold of series 3000 - not that uncomfortable, but still - my head hurts. And most importantly:
    d) Both 1000 and 3000 sound like crap. If you listen to those Dubstep shittery, you probably don't care about the sound quality because the "music" lacks quality in the first place. But try to listen to metal or orchestra. Hell, even rock, basically, anything with electric guitar will suffer. Series 3000 are a tiny bit better, but for 300 USD it is a piece of overpriced crap, just like Beats.
    e) Just for the hell of it I found my 5yr old Sennheiser CX300 and suddenly, guitars sound perfectly, lows and mids are there too, no problem with classical music. If you bought a pair of quality headphones like the aforementioned Shure SE425, you would be blown away.

..my 2 cents

Last edited: 10 Mar 2012
  7. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

For cheapy-in ears; Before I graduated to my HD485's; I found the Creative EP 850's and the like awesome. Went through a good three sets (Dead cables from simply being abused too much) before I finally decided to go for something meatier. Wonderfully cheap, but also surprisingly cheerful. Not a scratch on my £50 Sennheisers, but they're also usually a tenth of the price, or less, so it's not a bad trade-off.

8. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

Get some Sennheiser HD 25-1 IIs for a bit less than your friends Beats, and then make him cry by allowing him to compare the two :)

9. c.cam108

c.cam108 Minimodder

If you're looking to spend a bit - go for Sennheiser HD25-1 II. They are nice on-ears that are used by pro sound engineers (who know what good sound is) all over. Cost about £160ish.

There is also the HD25-SP II which are essentially the same, but mechanically a bit cheaper - only £100.

I've got the 25-1s and wouldn't use anything else.

Colin C

10. nchhabs

nchhabs www.twitch.tv/dracaXL

The HD25-I's are indeed a good buy. Great sound quality and they look quite ninja. You can also get Adidas branded versions if you're into the fashion side of things, without sacrificing audio quality like the Beats.

11. Guest-89078

Guest-89078 Guest

How did you know? :p

Edit: I like how everyone thinks I actually want to buy some new headphones. I'd rather spend some money on fixing my computer.