Windows Which X (as in the space game) first?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Whirly, 20 Mar 2012.

1. Whirly

Whirly What's a Dremel?

Over Christmas I bought the X superbox (X, X2, X3:TC, etc) and as a complete newb to the whole series I was about to start with the original game. And then it occurred to me I might be better off trying the newest one first rather than be put off the whole series if X1 isn't so good.

So does anyone with experience of these games have any advice as to where I should start?

Oh, and will I have any problem playing them with Win7 64bit?

2. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

I bought it too, played part of first one graphics are terrible and controls are a pain haven't really bothered with it tbh

3. IronDoc

IronDoc What's a Dremel?

Later ones have better graphics and ui with minimal changes elsewhere. Unless you're particularly bothered about story, I'd start with the latest.

4. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Hmm.

I'd say start with X2 if you're bothered with the plot. Personally I think it still looks quite nice.

Otherwise, Terran Conflict. Although, if you can be bothered, X3 Reunion with the Xtended mod is about as good as it gets. When you're flying a Reaper with a Split M3+ docked, you'll see what I mean.

5. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

Regardless of the one you pick...I hope you like menus. Personally, I would always start at the beginning.

6. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

I'd start with 2, at least for the tutorial. 3 doesn't really have one. I got 3 first, loaded it up and was like wtf am I supposed to be doing here? It's just throws you in the deep end which is somewhat annoying for a first time player.

7. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

X: Beyond the Frontier was fine in its day but it's not really worth starting from now. X2 is a much better game than the first and it fills you in with what is going on well enough to not need the first game. You also play as a different character to the one in X1 so again it's not massively important to play the first game.

I suggest you start with X2 and stick firmly to the story part of the game until you complete it, then immediately start X3. There is no point building a massive business empire in X2, save that for X3.

8. Whirly

Whirly What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the advice guys. I'll set Steam downloading X2 and go from there.

9. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

I bought x2 when it first came out. I hated it. pretty sure I sold it. Played the next one for a while after I bought it on steam. Still do from time to time but I get pretty bored. And just when I start doing well the enemy will come in and take out an entire system... including some of my ships, and me. And then I rage delete it.

10. rogerrabbits

rogerrabbits What's a Dremel?

I think you should start with Terran Conflict. It's better than the others in almost every way. Anything you need to know about how to play is on their forum.

11. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

I skipped the first few and went straight onto X:TC, looking forward to X:Reunion so long as they've not butchered it.

Was considering Albion Prelude, not sure, would mean me reloading TC and losing months to that again first though. Cracking game though. :)

Is AP worth it for anyone who's played it?

12. Andrew K

Andrew K What's a Dremel?

don't play X1 , it will put you off.. start with X2

13. Whirly

Whirly What's a Dremel?

After trying X2 and discovering that you can't remap the keyboard I have moved on to X3 TC.

Sadly years of WSAD have made my muscle memory too strong and X2 just wasn't worth the fight of learning a whole new set of keys. I can imagine putting the effort in for something as great as Skyrim but with X3's keys remapable and limited gaming time I figured I'd use my time wisely.

Thanks for all the advice everyone!

14. Retro~Burn

Retro~Burn Electronically Debauched Fiend

I've got the X³ Gold Edition set (Reunion and Terran Conflict) and I think I started with Terran Conflict. I remembered that there was a big learning curve and I think I started to like it but then lost interest. I want to give it another go as the scope of the game makes it worth a try at least. It's no Universal Combat (Derek Smart) though?

As I liked to have a good sense of continuity, I want to start with Reunion this time. I think it'll make the transition to TC easier and more appreciable seeing as you have to find Earth's location in Reunion.

Any tips for first players? Any handy tutorials to be found?

15. rogerrabbits

rogerrabbits What's a Dremel?

The X forum is totally packed with guides and stuff. The only problem is that it's a bit bewildering at first because there's a million guides to a million things. But if you just get stuck in, eventually you will hopefully realise that it's not as complex as it first seemed.

16. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Anything you will ever need can be found here Egosoft X Universe Forums

I find it handy when trying to keep my marines alive when trying to board ships. :D

17. hamza_tm

hamza_tm Modder

I started with X3:TC after trying X2 and tbh they were just too complicated for me to bother getting in to.

Actually, I first found out about the X series after playing Galaxy On Fire/Deep3d on my Nokia N95 smartphone.

Those games were just too awesome, simply beyond their time for the platform they appeared on.

I was instantly hooked into potentially similar games on the PC. But I just haven't found that same mix of simplicity, fun, and strategy in any PC spaceship shooter type game ever. I thought X3:TC was going to be the one, I got it and started it and it just blew my mind - too complicated and lacked the simplistic trading fun of Galaxy On Fire.

Anyone know of a Galaxy on Fire clone for the PC?

18. TehKrak3n

TehKrak3n What's a Dremel?

From what I found (X3: Reunion + TC) they are both very similar, so if u want to understand the whole plot line start early, if not go for the latest - the game really isnt about the story