Apple Must-Have Software for your Mac

Discussion in 'Software' started by Hex, 6 Mar 2005.

1. semiotic

semiotic What's a Dremel?

In case it hasn't been mentioned before Caffine for MacBook/pro users to stop the screen going dim or turning off on battery

2. Lovah

Lovah Apple and Canon fanboy

I may have posted here already, but it's worth mentioning again
    - Aperture 3.0

It's about all I run on my iMac.

3. PureSilver

PureSilver E-tailer Tailor

I'm not sure if these have already been posted, but they're new to me and crucial to EVERYONE:

moveAddict: This is a fairly simple bit of software that enables Cut, Paste and Folder Merge commands for Finder. If you're a lifelong Mac user I daresay you'll be wondering why anyone wants those functions in the first place, but if you're a Windows user and are wondering where the hell the ability to cut and paste files went - they went here. No more opening-two-windows-for-drag-and-drop. This mimics the modern Windows system of not messing with the 'cut' file until you want to paste it - i.e., it's non-destructive, you cannot accidentally delete a file using it etc.

Cinch: Enables Windows 7's Aero Snap feature, where dragging windows to the left, right and top of your screen will resize them to left half, right half, and fullscreen respectively.

Both are about a fiver (though both have limited freeware versions), which is pretty pricey for such basic features, but without them I really can't get along effectively.

4. lightly_carbonated

lightly_carbonated What's a Dremel?

Had a quick scan through and couldn't see these two.

MacVim - A port of the Vim, an incredibly powerful text editor, to OS X. An essential part of my day to day life. I've written a thesis and several published papers and god knows how many lines of code in vim over the years.

Size Up - A great piece of software that enables shortcuts to arrange applications on the screen. Similar to cinch (which I have never really had a look at) with the ability to set different window sizes and margins for applications.

5. Jeseus

Jeseus Banned

vlc player

I recommend the VLC player, I think it works better than iTunes when it comes to play videos. It's very light. :thumb:

6. Jaybles

Jaybles Minimodder

CodeBox, Browsers and RSS

CodeBox
    Top notch simple editor for multiple different languages.

Using Safari at the moment will be transferring to Google Chrome when i do a format and reinstall soon.

As far as RSS feeds go i use Gruml at the moment because i hated NetNewsWire's interface, however Gruml is a bit buggy. :/

7. star-shell

star-shell What's a Dremel?

For those who don't know, Steam is offering Mac platform games. Though I'm not sure how many percentage games are compatible.

8. leveller

leveller Yeti Sports 2 - 2011 Champion!

I've been changing all my dock icons today, but when I came to the finder icon it gave me a lot of grief trying to figure out how to change it, so I grabbed CandyBar and LiteIcon.

I also used TuneUp to fix thousands of badly named MP3's and Dupin to fix duplicates within iTunes.

9. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

Apologies for not reading the entire thread but could someone point me to the thread mentioned by the OP - Windows must have software?

Edit: found

Last edited: 24 Apr 2011
  10. chewbaccas_nan

chewbaccas_nan Minimodder

prey - free theft app which can transmit a signal so you can pin point where it is if stolen, also can transmit an alarm

11. petersampsons

petersampsons What's a Dremel?

Good collection of free software. I think VLC media player is must for computer users. It's simply best multi-format player.

12. Warner0001

Warner0001 What's a Dremel?

I think you may need a high quality dvd slideshow software for your Mac like the Fantashow in my blog:http://dvdslideshow.net with 30-day free trial, which can achieve pictures, music and videos combining into one disc.

13. farzyk

farzyk What's a Dremel?

HI. you mean general fullscreen, including laptops ?

14. Kodongo

Kodongo What's a Dremel?

I would recommend Size Up as the most useful app on my laptop. When I switched from an Acer lappy to an MacBook Pro, I was dying for better window management. I was so accustomed to DisplayFusion and Windows AeroSnap and OS X was streets behind in this regard. Size Up has made life so much easier. This is my current layout:

[​IMG]

I simply choose a two button combination of Command, Option or Control with my left hand and one of the keys in the lower right hand side of the keyboard and I can manipulate windows easily to my heart's content.

If I used a mouse with the laptop, I would also consider Cinch.

15. chewbaccas_nan

chewbaccas_nan Minimodder

Prey is good for if your macbook gets nicked, it pin points where it is. Also Sophos anti virus is also worth downloading - just incase! :D

16. JimmyTheTrumpet

JimmyTheTrumpet What's a Dremel?

Remote Desktop via RDP

Couldn't get by on my mac without access to my windows servers. I used Remote Desktop Connection for Mac from Microsoft (free) at first, but now I swear by CoRD (free).

17. JimmyTheTrumpet

JimmyTheTrumpet What's a Dremel?

Programming editors

Kod
    Still in its early stages of development, but there looks to be a lot of potential.

TextWrangler
    My go-to programming editor, which I use every day and would be lost without. Syntax highlighting for all common languages and is very stable.

18. CraigWatson

CraigWatson Level Chuck Norris

+1,000 to these, CoRD and TextWranger are awesome! :D

19. lcdguy

lcdguy Minimodder

got my first mac last week here is what i have running on it. Some free, Some not so much.

adium
    sophos antivirus
    Lightroom 3
    Photoshop CS5
    Filezilla
    VLC
    Burn
    Steam
    Final Cut Pro X Trial
    Adobe Premiere Pro CS6 Trial
    Crossover XI (Trial)
    Timemachine Scheduler
    macports

20. zatanna

zatanna What's a Dremel?

if not already mentioned, techsmith stuff.

i use jing (free & easy screen capture tool) and camtasia studio (not free, but fairly straightforward, bug-free video editing).

Tags: