1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

EVGA GTX580

Discussion in 'bit-tech Folding Team' started by Scorpuk, 20 Apr 2012.

1. Scorpuk

Scorpuk Minimodder

Has anyone else had problems with 24/7 folding with a GTX580?

Couple of weeks back while folding 24/7 my EVGA GTX580 would have typical temperatures around 78°C, but now 85°C.

A lot of faffing about to work out why my computer kept on freezing came to the conclusion it was the GTX580. 1 week ran only GTX 580 and same problem and then last week only i3930K and no crashes. Crash was that both folding hung and when I tried to close them the screen froze. Only solution was force shutdown. After rebooting the bios would say it was a failed overclock, but my computer isnt overclocked. At the time stock speed + turbo boost.

Never any problem playing games though.

Just played about with MSI Afterburner and set fan speed to 85% and demps fropped from 85°C to 63°C. Noisy as heck, but dont really care if I aint in the same room. :)

Personally I would have thought the card would have automatically upped the fan speed to stop it staying at 85°C 24/7?

If it doesnt crash again then I might remove the restriction on the i3930k and allow it to use turbo. Maybe even go back to look at overclocking it. :eek:

Last edited: 20 Apr 2012
  2. DocJonz

DocJonz Another CPC refugee .....

I haven't used MSI Afterburner, but on EVGA's Precision, I always tend to enable the automatic fan controls and then adjust the Temp/Speed curve to be more aggressive to keep things cooler (mine are GTX 560's rather than GTX 580's, but with two in the same box, and in close proximity, the overall heat effect is somewhat similar).

3. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

if noise isn't an issue why not just set the fan to full and be done with it?

like docjonz i tend to have a more aggressive fan profile set when folding, the standard profile seems to keep the fan at 40% until near melting point... and hardly ever goes above 60% from what I've seen...

4. Scorpuk

Scorpuk Minimodder

Cheers.

I probably will just got with full fan. :)

5. Leroyingo

Leroyingo What's a Dremel?

MSI afterburner has a temperature vs speed set point graph that will allow you to control what speed the fan is when it hits certain temps. Rather than just setting a fixed speed. Sounds the same as what Doc was saying about EVA's version.

6. Scorpuk

Scorpuk Minimodder

Well I am now getting CoreStatus = 63 (99) :miffed:

7. Scorpuk

Scorpuk Minimodder

Still crashing after 1 work unit completed. (v6, GPU Tracker v2 and v7 clients)

I have found a possible solution in that its to do with current video drivers and the monitor set to goto sleep.

Trying it now.

Unfortunately I have a Dell monitor where the switch has broken so will have to pull the power lead out to turn it off. Apparently this problem hapens a lot with Dell monitors. :grr:

8. DocJonz

DocJonz Another CPC refugee .....

Yep - I've known it on at least two of them :sigh:

9. Scorpuk

Scorpuk Minimodder

Onto my second unit now. So probably it was down to the drivers and monitor going to sleep. :eyebrow: