Rant Punctuation and general spelling on the forums

Discussion in 'General' started by Nealieboyee, 1 May 2012.

1. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

2. Carrie

Carrie Multimodder

Teelzebub likes this.
  3. Nealieboyee

Nealieboyee Packaging Master!

Woah Woah! Easy people! My problem is not with dyslexia or the inability to spell. Lets get that straight!

I think I have figured out where the problem lies. Youth. It seems that most of the text talk comes from the younger generation and they are led to believe that its ok to write that way any time and any place.

I have seen young people coming to interviews with our company and their cv is written in this "language". Its never given a second look, because they can't be bothered to write out a full word, which brings us back to laziness. Being too lazy to punctuate a sentence or at the very least capitaliSe the first word tells me more about you than you think.

Misspelling a few words is not the end of the world. Stop nitpicking people. Its the general lack of punctuation etc that makes the forum look untidy.

Just my 2c

4. Archtronics

Archtronics Minimodder

If you understand what the person is trying to convey why does it matter so much?
    If someone has successfully communicated an idea to you, a misplaced word or comma won't change your understanding of what has been said.

I agree that "proper" English looks better, but as this forum is for the communication of ideas and knowledge, In my opinion 100% correct grammar doesn't make a huge difference.

5. logonui

logonui Minimodder

I completely understand that not everyone is able (for whatever reason) to write a full post with perfect spelling and grammar. These are public forums with a multitude of people from all over the globe, there are times when I will write something when in a rush where I make obvious mistakes. I'm quite willing to admit this and I will never call someone out because things aren't perfect.

I only rly hav an issU wen ppl wrte lIk DIS

It is just lazyness, that sort of thing should be confined to moments when character counts are at a premium, such as text messaging.

If someone is from a country where English is not their native language you can usually tell that from the way a sentence is constructed. The same thing applies with someone who is dyslexic, you can usually tell by the way the words are constructed.

I don't think many people here are after perfection, that is unreasonable and petty. It is just the lazyness that rubs most people up the wrong way.

6. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

The thing is, it would take me much longer to write, type or text that than it would to spell it out properly.

I can't be the only one, surely?

Teelzebub likes this.
  7. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

You're not. I'm much faster typing full english, rather than that abominable abbreviation for a language.

I wouldn't say I complain too much about spelling and grammar, so long as the whole scentence is structured well enough for me to read it. No block'o'text please. This isn't Minecraft.

Secondly; Most browsers have Spellcheck now-a-days (Exception being Internet Exploder. I hate this so much.) So it surely isn't that hard to catch most errors before hitting the submit button?

8. Carrie

Carrie Multimodder

Spreadie, you're not, I assure you. I don't even know what "1337 speak" is supposed to mean :duh:

Teelzebub likes this.
  9. logonui

logonui Minimodder

Is that because you are used to writing full sentences so that is what comes naturally to you?

As I said in my first post, people have now grown up writing things entirely in an abbreviated form. This isn't necessarily wrong but in my opinion there is a time and a place.

10. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

Well I speak five language's butwhen it comes to putting it on paper I am the worst. So I apologise now.

Using tapatalk2 on my HTC

11. David

Where possible, I use proper grammar, spelling and punctuation in my text messages.

Yes, I am that sad. :geek:

12. Nealieboyee

Nealieboyee Packaging Master!

This! A thousand times this! I've been trying to word it correctly. You have made my point.

Dave! No! Not you as well! I'm sorry, but.......you must be punished with the rest of them. Take him away!!!

Which ones? English, Afrikaans, Zulu?

Teelzebub likes this.
  13. logonui

logonui Minimodder

You're not the only one, I do exactly the same thing.

14. David

I'm a Virgo. Apparently, that makes me a hopeless pedantic.

Teelzebub likes this.
  15. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

Me too, not always easy on a smartphone either :geek::geek::geek:

16. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

Damn, this thread seems to have expanded pretty quickly.
    Where are you Unicorn!? :waah:

Teelzebub likes this.
  17. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Not wishing to sound rude, but.. gah! dammit!

:)

18. dynamis_dk

dynamis_dk Grr... Grumpy!!

Doesn't really bother me. The only one I find really helps is paragraphing for the sake of readability. As for missing capitals, full stops etc - as long as it makes sense and falls above complete drunken nonsense I'm really not too bothered.

19. Brooxy

Brooxy Loser of the Game

Not sad at all.

I admit that back in the days of 12 button phones, no predictive text and 10p per message cost I may have reduced the length of the odd word through laziness and trying to keep costs down.

However back then I was about 15 and had very limited income, so each text message had to contain as much information as possible without using more messages than it had to.

Nowadays though, there is no excuse. We have QWERTY keyboards, predictive text and there is almost always a good deal for texting. There is really no excuse for the primitive method of composing an SMS that is ‘textspeak.’

20. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

Meh, It's the internet, when everyone is perfect then we can start complaining, until then there's an old wee saying that reminds us of the follies of throwing rocks in glass houses.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh you've done it again.

How on Gods green Earth can you call anyone out about their use of txt when you seem to find it sooooo very easy to slip into colonial English?

It should be two penneth worth, or tuppence worth, or 2p.
    See 3 perfectly usable correct English expressions you can use before going all USA on us.

Tags: