1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A/V Is the Asus Vulcan headset a taboo?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by lp rob1, 2 May 2012.

1. lp rob1

lp rob1 Modder

I have seen a few threads recently about the right headset to choose, and on every occasion I wonder if I should chip in with 'the Asus Vulcan is a pretty good headset'. The only problem is that I do not actually know much about headsets/headphones in general, so I usually just lurk in the threads waiting for someone else to mention them. But alas, nobody ever does. :(

So - is the Asus Vulcan a taboo here on the forums? They are the current headset in the Custom PC Elite list, so they can't be that bad, but would any audiophiles like to set me on the road to audio epiphany?

2. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

What do you want it for? The answer will always be headphones and a separate mic for the best audio quality.

Budget?

3. SonnyJim

SonnyJim Minimodder

It could be that most gamers here use well-known brands like Steelseries or Razer. I'm actually in the market for a headset the moment but the Vulcan's probably out of my price range. :(

4. Kiliv

Kiliv What's a Dremel?

I agree the Vulcan is a great headset, they come into their own at a LAN party, although i still prefer my AKGs ^^

5. lp rob1

lp rob1 Modder

Oh no, I actually already have the Vulcan :thumb: Just wondering why it is never mentioned here in the forums.

6. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

If you want a quality headset then you would have to start at £200
    Like this:AKG-HSC-271

But you can get good stuff separately.

7. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

Had a set of Vulcan's and took them back to the shop the next day.

Probably one of the worst headset's I have ever owned.

Put some music on and mess around with the equalizer and within a few notches up the bass on the song was to much for them, unyet a cheap Creative headset can handle the bass all the way up.

Vocal's crackled as soon as you turned up the music, again the Creative headset handled it perfectly.

Tried to setup teamspeak and the only way people could hear me was to have the mic turned up full, but then it picked up the noise coming through the cup's and the only way to stop that was to turn the mic down, but at that point no one could hear me unless I shouted.

£75 roughly for a headset that is beaten for sheer sound quality by a £30 Creative headset, even my Razer Cacharias headset cannot match my old Creative ones.

My next headset will be a Creative one as nothing I have ever heard offers better sound quality for all types of audio, Corsair no bass, Asus poor is a polite way of saying what I think of them, Razer again no bass.

8. Rhydian

Rhydian What's a Dremel?

Cant say ive had the same issues with my vulcans. In fact ive had amazing sound quality from mine both mic and headphones.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

9. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

I love my Vulcans, easily the most comfortable and best made headset I've come across.

10. lp rob1

lp rob1 Modder

Point 1 - You probably had ANC on. Tip: it is designed to filter out environmental noise, not give a good audio experience. That is why I always game and listen to music with ANC turned off, but general surfing/videos have it on.

Point 2 - My sound card has acoustics echo cancellation, which completely eliminates this problem. I expect that Windows 7 has echo cancellation built in already, but I cannot comment on its effectiveness.