1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Raspberry Pi case creation competition

Discussion in 'General' started by dancingbear84, 31 May 2012.

1. Scirocco

Scirocco Boobs, I have them, you lose.

Those sound like reasonable categories. The case materials limit equal to the price of the Pi would add a layer of challenge that will require some creativity for sure. The cardboard category opens a space for students or others who are financially challenged. The Exotic category allows those with access to the higher-end means to go all-out and probably shouldn't have a limit.

I'm on the list for one, but who knows when my place in the queue will pop. I'm also moving cross-country soonish so unfortunately won't be able to participate. You can bet I'll be cheering on whoever takes the challenge!

2. DeadP1xels

DeadP1xels Social distancing since 92

I like the catergorys although i don't think i'll necessarily particpate unless i can afford two of them, im not even sure how much they cost.

My plan will probebly take me alot longer than a few months and will include a few times wanting to drop it out the window, but thats what you get for doing something you don't think is achievable :D

3. Sea Shadow

Sea Shadow aka "Panda"

I like the notion of categories, I want to go all out on this.

That way I will catch less flak for my use of certain tools. Granted, I did BUILD my own CNC equipment.

4. dancingbear84

dancingbear84 error 404

So I am feeling the love for categories. It sounds like a good idea to me.
    What do you think about multiple entries? I think one entry per person per category.
    Do you think a pi is required to submit a case?

5. Sea Shadow

Sea Shadow aka "Panda"

One entry per person per category sounds good. I think pictures with a PI should be required to officially enter in one of the 3 main categories. Not that we have to own a PI but we have to at least get some pictures of our completed case with a PI in it. That will be the real test to see how well our design pans out.

Though I don't think we should completely exclude people if they do not have a PI. Perhaps we should have a 4th category for those who do not have a PI yet. If they can get a hold of a PI and post the requisite pictures then they could be moved into the appropriate category after that.

That's just my 2 cents.

6. gilljoy

gilljoy Minimodder

Oh, I like this idea but I'm not particularly good at building stuff like cases. Anyone have any tips? Materials that are ok etc?

7. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

I'm all for this idea, it means that experienced fabricators are able to use more advanced materials and techniques and will open up the competition to a wide variety of entries. I'm still waiting on my Pi but am expecting it any day now, so count me in :thumb:

8. DeadP1xels

Wood MDF is very inexpensive wear a mask if you ever use it, its just a pain to finish it because it looks like dog **** :D use a filler to make the surface smooth it takes alot of work but i've seen people finish mdf with a glossy finish (usuall ends up a full layer of filler)

Plywood is quite cheap good to work with edges are a pain

Polycarbonate and acrylic(perspex) for a see through case can be expensive in your general DIY so best buying it on ebay i've seen 3mm a4 sheets go for like £3 instead of £20 for a largish sheet in say B&Q

Aluminium is your best bet for a metal case easy to bend if you DIY a metal brake else making panels is easy with a jigsaw it cuts pretty easy and clean (with the correct blades).

Theres no limit really as long as you consider static discharge and mount the board offset but that should be straight forward :D

One tip is draw it up... seems straight forward but make sure everything is 100% correct before you start building, model it in sketchup would be a quite good idea aswell

9. legoman

legoman breaker of things

woods a nice semi forgiving medium,

I just have to work out how to get this lot into something small and functional :s

[​IMG]

Thats:
    The Pi (with heatsink)
    8Gb Kingston class 10 SD Card
    60Gb hdd in a Dynamode caddy
    Wireless mouse and keyboard (Logitech MK260)
    Wifi dongle (Netgear N150)
    Belkin 7 Port USB hub

Also where do we stand on things like i have a dead speaker so i stole the grill. How would the factor into the cost side?

Splooshiba likes this.
  10. dancingbear84

dancingbear84 error 404

At the minute the feeling is dropping the cost aspect and introducing 4 different categories, ghetto, hand tools, pro tools and other. That way you can spend as much or little as you like.

11. TheManicGibbon

TheManicGibbon I have no idea what's going on

Part of me thinks it would be awesome if the Pi had something like...nano-ATX mounting holes, and you could mount it in a HAF X or some equally massive case...

Sent from Bit-Tech app on my Google Nexus S

12. DeadP1xels

Waiting for the damn email... how long does it take?

The first one is going to my dad for fathers day but i want one aswell do i have to register twice i guess

13. Kylevdm

Kylevdm The Mod Zoo Podcast Host

I am in, whatever the rules I will play by them as long as the comp is in the next 2 months haha I am going to be building a case for one anyway that will slot into my new project...

My Pi arrives in late June :)

14. Virus44

Virus44 What's a Dremel?

Lucky you already have your pi and i have to wait for so long its torture ! :sigh:

15. dancingbear84

dancingbear84 error 404

I already have mine too. I am wondering how to fit everything in as well

16. Virus44

Virus44 What's a Dremel?

When did you order your pi ?

17. dancingbear84

dancingbear84 error 404

The day they accepted orders, then sometime in Mid-late April Farnell allowed me to place an order and I received it a couple of weeks ago

Apophis54 likes this.
  18. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

Had mine a couple of weeks now Not had time to do more a quick look at it

19. legoman

legoman breaker of things

mines living currently in a smallish box which looks like some techno sparrows nest. I have the wood just getting the time to set it up. have to say though the OpenELEC port of XMBC is brilliant

20. DeadP1xels

Have'nt even got a que code yet :(