1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Worth the effort?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Arboreal, 10 Jun 2012.

1. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

Hi,
    I have a Mini ITX rig based on a Zotac N630i board which is getting a little tired.
    I could easily upgrade the CPU, but the board only has a PCIe x1 slot for any additional graphics.
    Older IGPs seem to be passable but less powerful than even an entry level (say ATi 5450) card.
    The question is, would a 'neutered' ATi 5450 that's been modded to fit a PCIe slot (I could buy x16 to x1 adaptor) be worth the effort over the built in graphics?
    Other than the challenge, am I wasting my money?
    Over to you...
    Cheers

2. Austin

Austin Minimodder

:worried: I would say a 5450 would be a decent upgrade over the built-in GF7100 BUT would still be unlikely to be worth it and the x1 slot could cause other issues too. I would suggest upgrading the mobo. You could still go for a 775 if your existing CPU is pretty decent, possibly get a good deal second hand?

3. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

The X1 slot won't cause any issues. Even if it was PCI-E x1 the HD5450 hardly uses any bandwidth. On the other hand, it might be a spot of trouble, but I don't think it would be altogether that bad. Go for it if it won't cost too much.

The neutering won't really affect it.

4. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

Guys, thanks for the feedback, looks evenly balanced so far...

I only have a freebie E2180 in there, so £35 for an E7x00 or E8x00 wouldn't hurt.

Just whether do a no return mod on a 4550 or 5450 is the question??

Just seen the MSI H61I-E35 ITX board for £43, so that + G630 + 2Gb DDR3 would be only just over £100 - OK if the IGP is better as it too only has a PCIe 1x slot.

Mmm, maybe the H55N may have to go in that rig and get a new LAN gamer:eyebrow:

Keep the thoughts coming