1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – Complete GwassGween -FINISHED-Nov13 2013-pics start on page 67

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Cheapskate, 25 Jun 2009.

1. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

I had it.. and then Bindi reduced my post count from 9000 to 9...

Evil ones like him are one in a million.

2. Angel OD

Angel OD Pump Killer

I know. I'm new in here, and still trying to figure it out! :worried:

3. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Yeah, But I've always felt Spec and Bindi were the same species of evil. -Mostly I probing to see if I can get negative 1million rep.:D
    Maybe a custom rep label that says "Cheaps is a slimy bar-stard."

AnG3L likes this.
  4. AnG3L

AnG3L Ultimate Modder

Thats looks so awesome Cheaps!!! +rep for that pump bro, I love it!

5. Paslis

Paslis Minimodder

Very nice designed pump top Cheapskate and very well made. :thumb:

6. Cheapskate

Thanks, guys.:D
    I screwed up and will have to chop the update in half. I never thought doing ONE part would involve so much stuff.
    [​IMG]
    -I needed to do a test fit of the southbridge, so I figured I'd get the rest up on water again in the process. I am amazed at how accurate my wild guess of the mounting holes was. I confess there may have been some victory dancing.
    [​IMG]
    -Here's why I needed the test fit, though. There's a big ol' crystal mounted right next to the chip, and another doodly-giggy in the way on the other side.
    [​IMG]
    -I started prepping for manifold installation by working out the minimum amount of tubing I could fit on the main block.
    [​IMG]
    -First, I gotta get the other blocks mounted. One of the possible problems I'm working to prevent is board warp, so everybody gets a backplate.
    If you don't know what the original problem was, try to fix everything.:D
    [​IMG]
    -I added a bit of foam to the pocket to check out if the resistors cleared properly. -Nothing is too close to the edge.:thumb:
    [​IMG]
    -As per Kayin's instructions, I gave everything a layer of electrical tape. I probably would have done this anyway since I also suspect the insulator I was using was keeping the NB from making contact to the block. The tape has a lot of squish to it. I'm also doing away with the springs.
    [​IMG]
    -Marking off the tube height with a ruler.
    [​IMG]
    -The tubes will have to go in the manifold first. The amount of force I have to apply to get these over the barbs is bad enough. Don't ask me what I plan to do if I have to remove any of this. I may just unbolt all the blocks from the back.
    [​IMG]
    -I got the manifold on with minimum crunching sounds.
    [​IMG]
    -Digital cameras sure hate to focus on black. Hi, BillTheCat mug. At this point I put everything back together and booted her up. I kinda had to. The files for the southbridge block were on this system.
    [​IMG]
    -I cut the top out of Delrin this time. The stuff cuts awesome! This is bit#1...
    [​IMG]
    -Bit #2: 1/16"
    [​IMG]
    -Bit #3.
    [​IMG]
    -I lucked out. I found one of the previous screwups had enough material to do the baseplate.
    [​IMG]
    -But then I tried to screw up again. I thought I'd try to mill it with the spindle set at 10,000 RPM. I stopped at this point when I noticed the copper moving. It turns out I got it hot enough to melt the glue on the tape.:duh:
    -------------------------------------------------------
    and now for intermission.
    -------------------------------------------------------

[​IMG]
    -Before I go, I made an impulse buy the other day for a GlassGreen case size reference object. I have no clue why my store also imports Coke from Mexico. The "wall of Coke" still had stock when the last hurricane was coming in.
    -Anyway, there's no way I'm drinking that. Starving kids in Africa look away...
    [​IMG]
    -I should use the bottle at least once, though.

Thanks again to my sponsors, (Coke isn't one of them, BTW.)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 11 Feb 2018
  7. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

Mexican Coke still uses cane sugar.

How much delrin do you have left? PM me, I have a fun fun question for you.

8. Foregasm

Foregasm What's a Dremel?

WHYYYY??!! :waah:MEXICAN COKE IS SO MUCH BETTER. (and I mean the soda. Don't nobody get any funny idears, y'hear?):eyebrow:

9. Cheapskate

I'm just hoping there isn't too much Cesium-137 in the bottle.:worried:

10. Foregasm

why would your coke be radioactive? i mean, if it was japanese, i would understand. but this coke is mexican...i'm so confused.

11. Vetalar

Vetalar *learning english*

Cs-137 in Mexican coke? i'm intrigued!!! i could understand ukrainian RA coke (less than 170km from pripyat to coca cola factory) but mexican?

12. Cheapskate

'twas but a joke. I read through the 'lost source' incidents not to long ago, and the radioactive jewelry from the Caribbean is still fresh in my head.

13. Cheapskate

...anyway. I thought I'd get more rage from the crack about computer using starving African kids...
    [​IMG]
    -The base was still useable. It just needed to be freed from the rest of the copper. -Attila mode ON!
    [​IMG]
    -I had to mill the ports out on the delrin from the opposite side. They are offset a bit from the copper contact area. I flipped it over again and cut out some more between the ports too.
    [​IMG]
    -It's looking like cleanup time again, but I have to get this done first. I drilled and tapped the delrin first.
    [​IMG]
    -After that I countersunk the base.
    [​IMG]
    -It's not pretty, but no one will ever see it.::D
    [​IMG]
    -Next I had to shave down the top so it could fit under the video card.
    [​IMG]
    -and flip it back over to make pockets for all that stuff sticking out of the board.
    [​IMG]
    -Done. There was an attempt to sand and polish, but delrin isn't as forgiving as plexi. I suspect you have to treat it like stone and sand it down to a polished surface. I got a nice satin finish that matches the board, though.
    [​IMG]
    -Wait. Did I say I was done? I still needed to make a backplate.
    [​IMG]
    -I made a metal cracker.
    [​IMG]
    -The test fit showed me that crystal was still giving me trouble. A little tape with permanent marker helped me find the contact points.
    [​IMG]
    -I made some quick holes with the mill...
    [​IMG]
    -Someone tried to bite my cracker?
    [​IMG]
    -As a final precaution, I lopped the offending points off.
    [​IMG]
    -Everything is back together now. Here's the freaky part: she still runs!!
    Victory dance #2 electric boogaloo.

Thanks again to my sponsors.:D
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 11 Feb 2018
  14. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

Thats it cheaps, if in doubt cut it off, don't worry to much about what it does.
    Don't know if you noticed but in a few days the log will be celebrating it's 3rd birthday :clap::clap::clap:

15. Cheapskate

:duh: I doubt there will be cake, only shame...

16. voigts

voigts What's a Dremel?

Just keep it coming and keep telling yourself, "I will get this done some day, I will get this done some day..." :D

17. Foregasm

When did Mankz become a moderator? I swear he didn't have that badge yesterday...authority respected?

18. craig - toyoracer

craig - toyoracer Minimodder

Well I see you are still having fun, so that is all that really matters, isn't :D

All the parts look great by the way. :thumb:

19. Cheapskate

Thanks, guys.:D I got the big tile saw back yesterday. That should speed some things up.
    @Voigts - "I will quit using it as a laundry basket someday. I will quit using it as a laundry basket someday."
    @Foregasm - I was waiting to see some flagrant abuse of power from him. I'm disappointed.
    @Craig - Yes, but victory dances to the Magnum PI opening music are getting rare.

20. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Oh. Ma. Gawd.

Cheaps does an update. :lol: