1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Planning Building a benchtable

Discussion in 'Modding' started by bob80, 9 Jun 2012.

1. bob80

bob80 What's a Dremel?

Goodmorning guys, I am Bob80. I am Italian... First of all I would say forgive me if i make a mistake....

By the way.. I am a reviewer and I change very often the components of my pc, the chassis I have isn't too much large. A benchtable would be lovable...but... they cost too much for me :wallbash:

I want to build one :dremel: ... Surely, I will spend less money.

I have some question:
    What material do you suggest to use ?
    Which dimension ?
    Are there other similar thread to this ?

Thank you :D

2. Vetalar

Vetalar *learning english*

my personal benchtable made from cardboard - it was experiment before making cardboard custom case (failboat to be honest)
    best material IMHO plywood - cheap, easy to cut and sturdy
    for dimensions - ATX board + 5-10cm on the edges, height - atx psu (15 cm)
    1-2 5.25" and 3-4 3.5" sections, 2-4 usb ports
    also good to have box for small parts, stand for multimeter and optional fans for cooling vrm, ram or gpu

3. bob80

bob80 What's a Dremel?

Thank you Vetalar

what do you think about plexyglass ?

4. Fonne

Fonne What's a Dremel?

This is one that I have been designing in acrylic ... You can get some ideas, but please dont copy totally ....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Vetalar

plexyglass is good looking... no other "pros" for me here...
    for benchtable one should use thick plex (at least 6mm 8-10 preferable). also there were a bunch of holes (mounts, cable routing) which can lead to cracks etc. there is dozens reasons not to use plexi for me... joints/bending? availability? structural rigidity? price?

think about what You want: workhorse or 'nice and transparent piece of plex to attract chicks' :)

here is sketchup of my "bench" (components used from scc.jezmckean.com/)
    [​IMG]
    buttons and USB located over dvd. for fixation of riser cards there is pastic strip, fixed on 150mm m4 threaded rods. HDDs cools by PSU fan.

Last edited: 11 Jun 2012
  6. bob80

bob80 What's a Dremel?

Thanks for sharing your model Fonne... I'm not going to copy your benchtable totally because I haven't a watercooling system.

I want an extremely solid benchtable, so I'll use wood :) which thickness do you suggest ? 8mm ?

7. Vetalar

8 good enough. 10-12 a bit easy for joining - less chance to screw up with screws :)

8. bob80

bob80 What's a Dremel?

As for the dimension I think that 350*300*150mm would be good. I haven't too much space on my desk.

9. bob80

bob80 What's a Dremel?

what do you think about these pics ? (i'm a crap with sketchup lol)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. geebles

geebles Own's a Dremel

Hey, i built myself one out of 2 wooden 'chopping boards' and a 'broom handle' .. I see the person who put the design up there has some extreme system, depending on use I don't think water cooling is necessary, build a proper case for that :)

Heres a link to my small build (sorry its not on bit-tech yet, just tumblr)
    http://geebles.tumblr.com/post/2930509913/chopping-board-wooden-test-rig-computer

Hope that helps slightly, this bench table i built is actually still in use and I use it to test hundreds of graphics cards

Regards

11. bob80

bob80 What's a Dremel?

So, I made models myself... I put the 580 Hydrocopper because I found it lovely to see :thumb: , I actually use a 8800GTX, a P8P67 Evo a 2500K ant the PHTC14PE. :D

I'm not going to use watercooling, only for test tons of hardware. I don't like very much the case for testing because they're too small (except the full tower, very expensive) and the airflow isn't the best.:nono:

12. Vetalar

good design! don't forget about fixation add-on cards (gfx, audio etc.) - they pretty heavy and could damage MB

13. bob80

bob80 What's a Dremel?

Thank you ;) very very simple.... for now :clap:

By the way, 350*300 is too small :wallbash:

I think that 350*370 would be much more better, the only problem is that I haven't this space on my desk :grr:

14. Vetalar

then stick with atx size (305*244) + 2-3 cm at i/o side for card fixation, add some hooks on the edges to keep cables in place. height is not a problem as i understand - add couple cm for buttons, leds and usb ports over i.e. fan controller

15. bob80

bob80 What's a Dremel?

Yes but I have to fix in the lower part of the benchtable CD/dvd, PSU and HDD cage.

If I choose 350*300 all these things would be too much narrow, If I choose 350*370 the situation changes...

16. bob80

bob80 What's a Dremel?

The right dimensions are 300*400 ;)

17. Vetalar

thats matter only if You are "storage" tester - constant drive swapping could be real PITA in small volume. but in Your case You'll never going to change smth "under". psu intake fan is more than enough for HDD cooling IMHO, and DVD didn't need cooling at all

18. bob80

bob80 What's a Dremel?

I'd love to have more space in the lower part of the benchtable, the cabling would be more simple and clean.

This is what I made...

[​IMG]