1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Drilling/cutting mobo mounts and holes ADVICE!

Discussion in 'Modding' started by charliefreak100, 27 Jun 2012.

1. charliefreak100

charliefreak100 What's a Dremel?

Hi all

Noob alert I'm afraid.

I'm modding an old hi-fi CD-player case for an ITX/HTPC build. I've got to the point where I need to drill and tap holes for the motherboard mounts and cut a hole in the back for the mobo backplate (gulp).

I am armed with a trusty dremel and a ruler. I'm measuring and marking and measuring again (and thank you for the thread with all the dimensions) but I'm still terrified of actually cutting. Trouble is, I can't site the mobo properly to get the mounting holes 100% right without cutting out the backplate.

Suppose I will just bite the bullet and go for it, but before I do I wanted to ask if anyone had any clever advice?

Thanks

2. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

There's a simple solution.

First of all, you need a spare set of standoffs, where you cut the thread. This way you can place the motherboard in the correct height, to know where your I/O-shield will be located.

After having cut out the hole for the I/O-shield, you can now place the motherboard in the correct position. Now you can remove the modified standoffs and mark the position for the standoff-holes.

I hope that was understandable :p

3. ConKbot of Doom

ConKbot of Doom Minimodder

Also, printers can be surprisingly accurate if you feed them good data. Find or make a drawing, print it out 1:1, no fitting or scaling, and compare it to the actual mobo to make sure there was indeed no scaling. Tape it down and have at it with your center punch.

4. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

Doesn't solve his problem if you read carefully.

5. charliefreak100

Thanks for the comments.

What would be ideal would be a printed piece of paper with a fold mark, that I can stick down to the base of the case, and fold at 90 degrees and also stick up the side of the case which marks both the standoff holes and the backplate?

If anyone knows what measurements I should use for such a thing let me know! (I can probably figure it out from the 'measurements' thread too :)

Thanks again

6. Wing Zero

Wing Zero Ita-sha owner

there's these wonderful inventions called tape and scissors. make 2 templates, one for mobo layout, other for backplate, cut off the excess paper and stick together with tape.

7. charliefreak100

Fully awesome. This thread totally inspired this idea, and it's worked brilliantly. Not rocket science I know, but I just hadn't thought of it til now.

Back template photoshopped on to top of of base template - printed and folded and stuck to cardboard for a dry run.

will try and post some pics.

Thanks all...