1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Silver Blade

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by alexvdl, 3 May 2012.

1. B.o.B

B.o.B What's a Dremel?

Not a big fan of the Thermalright heatsinks. But then again, I've never seen it all in one case, it actually looks fantastic!

Loving the mod, great to see another kiwi hard at it!

2. Balder

Balder Calmer than a monk on morphine

I love it, looks so clean, I was worried when I saw the size of all those heatsinks, but now that it's all in there it looks well awesome, good job.. :thumb:

3. alexvdl

alexvdl What's a Dremel?

Thanks everyone! I have a week off work next week so I'm hoping I can get this build all wrapped up :)

Photos will follow of course :)

4. Shurika

Shurika Minimodder

WOW! Amazing! It`s absolutely passive & fanless build, realy? Those are sooo sweet radiators!

5. alexvdl

alexvdl What's a Dremel?

Thanks man :) I have one 92mm Scythe Gentle Typhoon exhaust fan but all the heatsinks are passive yes :)

6. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

This is beautiful! I want 1920x1080 wallpapers when you're done! :thumb:

7. dream1

dream1 What's a Dremel?

So what are cooling preformance ??? Nice case man .

8. legoman

legoman breaker of things

I like that a lot, my only concern is will the 92mm fan be able to vent all the heat effectively?

9. alexvdl

alexvdl What's a Dremel?

Thanks! I will share the final photoshoot when the build is done :)

I have yet to test that...

You are right, it is a very compact case with very limited exhaust airflow, you have to remember though, with the exception of the 5870, the rest of the parts are relatively low end and won't generate too much heat. I'm hoping the 92mm fan will be enough for general system use and portable gaming. I have my high end bench build for extreme gaming and overclocking :)

10. alexvdl

alexvdl What's a Dremel?

Hi everyone, I have achieved a few things and although I didn't manage to take as many photos of what I've done as I would have liked, I am one step closer to finishing this build, so I thought I might update this worklog.

First off I drilled holes in the drive bay shroud so I could mount the Scythe hard drive holder. Because the shroud is an important visual point of the system I used countersunk screws to limit the impact.
    Here are some photos:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I cut some countersunk M3 screws that I had lying around to the right length and then filed off the sharp edges.

[​IMG]

I also cut a section out of the front of the case so the power supply IEC cable could come through, curve around and go straight back into the case. All I need to do now is find some rubber u-channel suited to covering the sharp edges.

[​IMG]

Just thought I would share a photo that I forgot to upload back when everything was assembled.

[​IMG]

I thought I would get started on some cable management and get that out of the way, it was my first time doing cable management with sleeved cables and I realised how hard it was to get the cables where you wanted them to go :p

[​IMG]

I was overjoyed that I found this in an old rack-mount server case I had lying in my cupboard, this would make plugging and unplugging the power supply a whole lot easier as I can have a socket in a panel at the rear end of the case.

[​IMG]

I purchased a right angled IEC cable to make routing the cable back into the case and to the back of the case a whole lot easier. Of course the cable needed sleeve as it was going to be visible in the case :)

[​IMG]

Continuing with cable management, after taking this photo I routed the CPU power up the back edge of the motherboard tray and over the top. I am ver very pleased with my first attempt an cable management with sleeved cables :)

[​IMG]

Fitting the IEC socket to a piece of 1mm aluminium.

[​IMG]

I also purchased a white LED strip which I will be cutting up and placing around the case. I'm more aiming for a subtle glow of white light, nothing over the top. I plan on using a PCB, most likely placed on the back of the motherboard tray, to control brightness and also switch the LED strips on and off. The aluminium channel I will be painting black so it blends in seamlessly with the case.

[​IMG]

The aluminium plate is in place and the IEC cable has been routed to the back of the case neatly, next step is to solder the cables onto the pins, but first I am going to paint the aluminium plate black.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Kingwin STR-500 didn't come with a separate 8-pin PCI cable, only a daisy channed one coming from the 6-pin. tHis forced me to improvise to make a separate 8-pin power cable for the graphics card. First off, I butchered the MOLEX and the SATA cables to get the connector from the power supply end (I still have a cable with two MOLEX and two SATA which I will be using for the hard drive and LED strips). Because the modualr connector on the power supply didn't have enough ground pins for an 8-pin PCI-E cable I had to use two connectors to get what I needed :) Next step was to get a black 8-pn connector out of my box of connectors and some wire with ATX crimps on the ends. Because I don't own a crimp tool I am forced to joining the cables as apposed to re-crimping the wires. I worked out which cable went where and taped them together so I wouldn't loose track, I then proceeded to, one y one, strip the tip of the wires and solder them together. This is the first timne I've done anything like this so please don't use this as a guide. After soldering the wires together I shrunk some heatshrink over the solder and viola! I had a true 8-pin cable :)

That's all for now. Hopefully the next update won't be too far away as I hope to get this system all wrapped up in the next month :D

11. alexvdl

alexvdl What's a Dremel?

I know it has been a while since I updated this log and I admit I haven't been able to do much work on Silver Blade as I'd have liked to but I will share with you a shot taken by my friend Riley Baker at the local LAN that I went to.

http://iforce.co.nz/i/3tdtew0d.hw2.png

I have been working on replacing the 24-pin connector on the motherboard with a 90° one and I will post pictures when I'km sure it is a success...

Stay tuned :)

12. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

Hi there,I just remembered this build and how gorgeous it was! :jawdrop:

I was just wondering where this has got to, and if it's still going?

Thanks, Alessandro.

13. ali_robb2000

ali_robb2000 What's a Dremel?

Thanks KidMod-Southpaw for bumping this and bringing it to my attention! It looks great, very subdued colours and really original design, I love it!

Yeah an update would be nice....

14. FatPandas

FatPandas What's a Dremel?

Love the mono look of these mate. Very cool :thumb: