Cooling Are rubber anti-vibration screws effective?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jashaf, 22 Jun 2012.

1. jashaf

jashaf What's a Dremel?

2. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Ah! Again mypresumptions get the better of me, i thought it was that res we were talking about. lol Sorry mate!
    Wiith a combined 1200L/hr going through it, i sure hope those little bit of rubber do the trick.

3. jashaf

jashaf What's a Dremel?

Let us know how it works out for you. I have ordered a few sound damping things which I am going to try. I will keep this thread informed of what comes of them.

Cheers,
    Jas

4. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

My XSPC DDC BayRes has those. They don't make a difference.

If I pull the reservoir out of the case and switch the pump on, it's every bit as loud in my hand as it is when sitting in the drive-cage.
    The noise from XSPC res (in my case, and others that I've read about elsewhere) is due to the design of the reservoir itself and the pump mount; or how the two parts interact (pump & res).
    An otherwise silent 18W DDC becomes ear-grindingly noisy when used with the XSPC DDC Res, supposedly something to do with the effect the reservoir has on the impellor.

I'm going to get rid of my XSPC res when I can afford it and just go back to a normal bayres while mounting the pump elsewhere in the chassis; as I don't like the idea that the reservoir is shortening the lifespan of the pump by doing nasty things to its impellor.

5. The_Crapman

really? hmmm. well considering i was going to have to make a mount for it anyway, i might rig something up to use a lian li psu holder.
    [​IMG]

6. jashaf

jashaf What's a Dremel?

Wait, What? So you aren't going to mount the XSPC reservoir in an actual dual 5.25" drive bay in the front of your machine? :)

7. The_Crapman

not after what Zurechial said no. My P180 i going under the knife shortly and i was going to take out the top hdd bay and move the 5.25" bay down to where that was, but will come up with something else now :)

8. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

Why? :eyebrow:
    My point was that the pump makes a horrendous amount of noise with the XSPC DDC BayRes regardless of where it's installed in the case, or even when free-floating on my hand and not in the case at all.
    If you're thinking that mounting it elsewhere in the case will contain the noise, well.. It won't! :p

I had to get a PWM pump controller (Alphacool Heatmaster) to run the pump at 40% PWM duty cycle and the damn thing is still audible.
    It's worth noting that I'm 100% certain that the pump itself isn't at fault here. Two otherwise silent pumps exhibited this horrible noise when attached to the XSPC reservoir.

I'd assume I just got a one-off wonky reservoir (or that I was installing the pump incorrectly somehow) if it wasn't for the facts that I've re-mounted the pump with varying screw-tightness and orientations (to no avail) and seen others complain about this issue around the net.
    It seems to be a fundamental design flaw of the XSPC DDC BayRes, but you might get lucky so I'd recommend actually testing the pump with the res before you go doing any modding or making plans to accommodate it. I have no idea whether it happens with the XSPC D5 BayRes or not.

9. jashaf

jashaf What's a Dremel?

Yes. Definitely test it before deciding what to do. You might get lucky and have gotten a silent one :)

I really need to put up a video with sound of my xspc bay res. I'll try and do that later today...

10. The_Crapman

well this is where it's going to go. the hdd and 5.25" drive bays will go and it will sit where the red box is.
    [​IMG]
    So whichever way i do it, it's going to involve some modding!:dremel: