Scratch Build – In Progress Lean and Green - 15-12-14 - as complete as it's going to get

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Waynio, 28 Jan 2012.

1. Socialite

Socialite What's a Dremel?

Where do these ideas come from? This build is absolutely epic. The attention to detail and skill shown is unbelievable! I can't wait to see the finished product... You are definitely in a league of your own good sir!

2. mnpctech

mnpctech bit-tech sponsor

That looks sooo WICKED! ......I predict a lot of Press coverage for this, once it's finished :hip:

3. Meelobee

Meelobee What's a Dremel?

wow...that is all! :thumb:

4. riekmaharg2

riekmaharg2 has completed the PowerCore scratch build

I think the marble would look amazing with the spindicator from Omega Desk log:

5. Mosquito

Mosquito Just 'Plane' Crazy

The fact that you're asking WAYNIO that question, scares me :lol:

Looking great Waynio :thumb:
    I agree with riekmaharg that the LED ring would be cool

6. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Thanks Sarakon :) it is still a way off on deciding the finish but I'm thinking of mixing black & white to make the different shades & using marble style in silver which I'll be able to use a light coat of black candy paint to give it different tones where wanted.

Here is an example from the shop I'll buy the paint from with it just having a basic job done with black base coat & silver marble.
    [​IMG]

Little bit. :jawdrop::D

All from the idea of making things flow really & wanting to get better at creating :D thank you for the huge compliment Socialite. :D

Thanks Bill :D would be good but I won't expect anything, then if anything good comes from it it will be just pure awesomeness. :rock::D

Thanks Meelobee. :)

I know, :jawdrop: Squigly pointed the breathing LED mod & then that beauty to me, I'm crap on electronics but I'm going to give it a try this time :eeek::D that swirling effect it can produce is just too awesome for that marble power button, will be pure. :jawdrop::D
    Cheers Kier. :)

Worryingly I kinda remind myself of this guy sometimes. :lol:

Thanks Mosquito. :D

I seemed to let today slip away, I'll dedicate back to it tomorrow. :)

7. alain-s

alain-s Minimodder

Very nice Waynio good thing that it worked out how U wanted it. The marble really looks fantastic. I cant wait to see the parts anodized in there colours the effect will be so awesome.

8. riekmaharg2

I'd be happy to make one for me and send you one too its around £10 of parts + whatever led's then whatever the postage :)

Last edited: 11 Jul 2012
  9. Cleveland216

Cleveland216 Carbon Fiber King

I had to come and check it on the progress and it looks EXCEL----LENT!

10. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Like the fade on that one. The one I put together caused eye spasms.

11. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Thanks Alain :) glad you didn't take note of the possibility of paint, made me want to stick to the original plan all the more. :D

At first when I read this I felt I was at a crossroads & should I finally learn some electronics or let someone who knows what they are doing do it. :D

If the offer is still there Kier it really would be very awesome of you & highly appreciated mate, I'll still have a challenge of mounting it correctly so it does the wanted effect, it would have to be 38mm or less though so it can fit inside the pipe assembly for the switch. :D

:D Thank you Cleveland216, progress is going slow just now but it will pick back up again. :)

:lol: It is a nice effect, says in the video it uses 255 different steps so fades nicely, I am so itching to see what the effect would look like. :D

Got some prepping done for cutting the 4 HTPC side contrast panels & made a little start on them, once they are cut & cleaned up they are ready to mount, I also worked the fixing of the layers before cutting them because I really wouldn't fancy trying to drill these frail panels once they are cut, then have 6 smaller 3mm detail inset panels to make.
    [​IMG]

Drilled access holes on both ends so I can work it better, kinda like a beat'em'up game where your used to playing on 1 particular side, can do both but seem to find it more familiar once you get used to following the cut line, the countersunk mounting holes in the corners didn't quite align properly to the panel I tapped so countersunk a little further so it gives a touch of wiggle room to align properly. :)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Probably the most boring update of the log but I'm just posting this now so it is known progress is still rolling but I had a couple days off due to lacking energy & focus so been recovering, very important to do that when not feeling on form else I'd screw something up. :D

I intend to get back into it now that I just have a big cutting session ahead I need to focus on, no idea how long these will take but they are only 1mm thick & cut easy but I do need to be careful to not mangle them up, that's the difficult part. :)

And today I'm 12,775 days old. :lol::eeek::jawdrop:

12. bluc

bluc What's a Dremel?

Hats off to you the level of dedication and concentration it would take to do this build is astounding!!:clap:

13. riekmaharg2

Yeah the offer is still there :), how about if I make the actual circuit then Ill leave and label each wire for the LED's so you can solder them on in the exact arrangement you require?

I'm gonna make these with 5V input if that's ok with you?

Last edited: 14 Jul 2012
  14. Balder

Balder Calmer than a monk on morphine

ZZzzzzzz, wake me up when it's cut....

In all seriouslyness though, I dont envy you, it looks like a big job, I'm glad though, cause it'll look awesome as always!

Also happy 35th birthday (good thing I'm younger then you) with like a couple of thousand days :D )

15. andybones

andybones What's a Dremel?

Dam,that's alot of sawing :jawdrop:
    If you had a cad file with the dimensions on,i could get it lasered at work.
    Good luck anyway ;)

Andy

16. AnG3L

AnG3L Ultimate Modder

The amount of work is over 9000!!!!!

17. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

I been trying hard not to think about it, makes it not seem too bad. :hehe:
    Thanks bluc. :)

That would be excellent Keir. :)
    1 extra thing the power button needs an unobstructed hole in the middle of the light arrangement because that is essential for the switch function to work, I have no idea what a compacted version of this mod looks like so don't even know if it is possible to implement into the little assembly I have in mind, even a very basic drawing done in mspaint would be of help for what it might look like & if the LED's can be separate to the complicated bit. :D
    I'm a complete n00b on electronics. :lol:

Thanks Balder :D bet you don't feel so old now. :hehe::thumb:

:D Not complaining, just saying (might look like complaining though :D) it's a lot of cutting but a big thank you for the offer Andy, very appreciated mate. :)

:jawdrop::duh::D I know :hehe: will be worth it though. :)

18. Sarakon

Sarakon The German

Good luck with all that cutting!

19. Mosquito

Mosquito Just 'Plane' Crazy

Actually, you'd be 12,784 days old... there's been 9 leap year-days since you were born... :p

Looking like a lot of work ahead of you, but looks like it will be great as always :thumb:

20. riekmaharg2

Yeah the best idea would be to have the actual controller in a separate area then just run wires from it to the LED's. As the PIC microcontroller allone is 5cm long, so as a rough estimate I'd say the whole thing will be around 6 by 3-4cm.

I can solder on the LED wires then bunch them all together and label them so you can run the wires through then solder on the LED's. And the PIC itself can power each LED so there is a wire from the PIC to each LED, then the negative leg of each LED can be connected to any 0v on the PSU.

Last edited: 14 Jul 2012