Build Advice 3570K Build Advice Please

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Kyle P JMC, 26 Jun 2012.

1. Kyle P JMC

Kyle P JMC What's a Dremel?

Hi Guys, Im looking at building myself a new pc to replace a 10 year old pentium 4, so far ive got this parts list, but still need some advice and suggestions on a couple of things:

Case: Fractal Arc Mini
    CPU: i5 3570K OC'd to 4.5
    Mobo: Asus Maximus V Gene
    RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2x4GB) 1600Mhz Low Profile
    DVD Drive: Liteon IHAS 124-19
    Cooler: Arctic Freezer i30
    SSD: Crucial M4 64GB (For OS) - suggestions welcome (£60 from Aria)
    PSU: be quiet! 530w CM L8-CM - Powerful enough? (£57 from Aria)

GFX Card: Maybe a Gainward 560ti Golden Sample in the future (so the psu needs to be good enough)

Extras: IDE to Sata adapter to use an old 250gb HDD from my current pc, upgrade to 2tb when the prices drop a bit more :thumb:

These will probably all be coming from Aria and Scan to cut down on the amounts of P&P ill have to pay, so any suggestions from those sites would be appreciated :D Unless theres cheap P&P.

Im currently using WinXP but would like to change to Windows 7 and was wondering if anyone knows whether i could just get the Upgrade Retail version even though it will be installed on a different HDD and Mobo to the current WinXP?

It will mainly be used for Photoshop, Web Browsing, Sketchup and Occasional gaming (with the HD4000 IGP for a start) but id like to keep it kinda future proof, Any suggestions on any items would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Kyle

Last edited: 14 Jul 2012
  2. Kyle P JMC

Ok, ive made a few changes to the parts list so i think i have a shopping list, bar any suggestions, but id still like to know if anybody knows whether windows 7 retail upgrade could be installed on a different HDD (well SSD in this case) to the original Win XP?

I dont have the original winxp disc, just the serial number (i presume OEM) as it came pre-installed.

3. Kyle P JMC

Can anyone help with this part?, its the only thing im not too sure on. :confused:

Thanks

4. Zinfandel

Zinfandel Modder

That's a nice build right there.

Windows upgrade will be fine, you'll need to install it twice though. You just install it and when you get to the validation screen just restart the install and it will go through just fine!

Depending on when you're getting your GPU, 660s should be out soon (Well, some time within the next three months anyway) so that'll probably be the way to go over the 560.

5. Kyle P JMC

Thanks for the reply Zinfandel, good to know about Win7 :D Why restart at the validation though is there a reason for this?

What do you think about the SSD, on the newest firmware it has a write speed of just 110MB/s where it used to 400MB/s on an older firmware? sounds like a bit of a sacrifice for a quicker read speed?