Windows Guild Wars 2

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by JPClyde, 10 Apr 2012.

1. Tichinde

Tichinde Minimodder

Get in, snag the names and go back to sleep.

Desolation appears to be the unofficial UK server.

2. Digi

Digi The not-so-funny Cockney

Looks to be well over-populated before it even starts as well. Which could cause problems with WvWvW PvP.. I'm gonna start there as well but we'll see.

3. Wicked_Sludge

Wicked_Sludge My eyes! The goggles do nothing!

With the game starting at midnight local time (and possibly as early as 9pm) i will be pounding massive amounts of coffee all friday evening in preparation for a sleep-deprived weekend :D

4. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

This is going to be a loooooong week :(

5. Digi

Stress test tonight so you can login for a few hours at least. 20:00 GMT afaik..

6. Tichinde

Tichinde Minimodder

Tried some WvWvW. Killed lots of people.

I was really enjoying this. Now I'm totally sold on this game.......

7. Digi

Been doing SPvP all night myself, win or lose I've enjoyed every second as a thief!

Roll on saturday..

8. iwog

iwog Linux cursed

Everyone rejoice, the dance videos are out already:

9. Domestic_ginger

Domestic_ginger What's a Dremel?

Anyone find a better bargain than £32 on this? Really tempted.

10. Digi

@ iwog - Lol, that was quick!

An updated impression after my first time playing last night. Take with a pinch of salt as the servers were being tested constantly and it was only towards the end that I wasn't being disconnected randomly.

Overall this is definitely a very, very polished release of a new MMO. There's bugs, that's a given, but in general they are small or cosmetic. I'll highlight a few positives and negatives:

Bugs/room for improvement -
    The overflow system, whereby you are placed in an 'overflow server' when your 'main server' is full (like an instance system in other MMO's), is irritating. The idea is good as you will never have to wait in a queue but the implementation could be better. Specifically, even if you're partied up with a friend, you get no option to join them in their version of the instance or their 'overflow server' as it's called.
    SPvP (Structured PvP - GW2's version of BG's or Battlegrounds to use the WoW vernacular) queue system. It's needs improving. There's no join as party option currently and joining with a friend at exactly the same moment (co-ordinated with voice comms) was 50/50 at best, half the time we were on opposite teams! Not to mention you cannot see on the HUD that it has queued you.

Positives -
    Too many to mention; sound, voice acting, graphics, good pvp system and plenty of pve content.
    Combat system is my fave though, finally a MMO that could rival WoW for fluidity of combat, a key requirement for skill based pvp. It flows beautifully and is responsive and satisfying.
    Customisation of skills, traits, sigils, runes and a lack of gear dependency is nice as well.
    PvP is glorious and simply great fun, with under water combat, detailed and enjoyable maps and much chaos and destruction.

I repeat my earlier statement, roll on Saturday!

11. Tichinde

Tichinde Minimodder

I support this post and all it stands for.

:rock:

12. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

Right, I'm a total noob to this whole MMO thing and have only really played LOTRO (paid for 2 months), WoW for a 2 week trial and WAR for a few weeks.

What does DA2 have that's going to make a typically non MMOer want to play this.

13. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

What's DA2?

14. iwog

iwog Linux cursed

And now there's a better video, I can't wait for launch and the possibility of purchasable dances:

15. Weekly_Estimate

Weekly_Estimate Random bird noises.

So which server we all rolling on? :p

16. Kiytan

Kiytan Shiny

Probably going to be rolling on Fissure of Woe.
    Still can't quite decide what to roll, my greatsword crit+bleed warrior was really fun, but the guardian had a really nice variety of skills as well.
    I do know he's going to be norn, no other race has the manly, manly facial hair I require.

17. Weekly_Estimate

Weekly_Estimate Random bird noises.

Is that pvp or?

and i'll be rolling a charr ranger because.... i love the thought of it being just me and my pet standing there when enemy's start piling in...

18. iwog

iwog Linux cursed

I would advise against FoW unless you can read Italian. My little band of idiots played there for the past few events and map chat is filled with Italian and people arguing about map chat being filled with Italian.

I'll be rolling on Gunnar's Hold if anyone cares.

19. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

I am going to try and pick the game up on disc instead of digital download. As its expensive direct from NCSoft.

Though if that fails Im going to buy it anyway as it will be a birthday present bought for myself.

Can't wait to link old account and get cracking some skulls.

I will also like to add that anyone from Bit Tech feel free to use the mumble as its for the entire community.

A Guild Wars Channel will be created shortly.

20. WTF_Shelley

WTF_Shelley The picture is wheeljack

I have to work till 5pm on saturday..................................Gosh fripping darn it im mad. But not back to work until tuesday...............Will be praying to the great god Redbull for 48hours