1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Notebooks Decent 13.3" laptops for ~£800 Where are they?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Korvus, 26 Aug 2012.

1. Korvus

Korvus May contain traces of sanity.

Where are all the decent 13.3" laptops for around £800 or so? :waah: Been trying to find one but.. it's like they don't exist. Ultrabooks are nice and all but out of my budget area, same with macbooks.

I'm trying to find a replacement for my 2007 Macbook pro (running windows).
    Ideally I'm after:
    • i5 sandy or ivybridge (Must have good cooling if ivy - I'm hearing a lot of stories of overheating laptops constantly being throttled by poor cooling with ivybridge)
    • Some kind of nvidia dedicated graphics or ivybridge i4000 if the price/etc is right.
    • Not too fussed about SSD vs HDD. Ideal setup is a builtin 24gb SSD with a HDD or something like that.
    • 13.3"-14" size, needs to be reasonably portable. I don't understand these lap-and-a-halftops, and I need a reasonable screen size so I can use it a lot.
    • Rock solid build quality - this macbook I'm using has been heavily used for over 5 years now - I need another laptop that can last as long.
    • The longer battery life, the better. It will be used on battery and is not a "desktop replacement"

I did have a look at the Asus U36-SG RX068X... but I was not pleased with the build quality and had to return it as the case was warped along with a broken LCD. It crashed repeatedly on it's first boot too... Not pleased :sigh:. Is this usual for asus laptops? I thought they were supposed to be one of the best brands?:confused:

Any suggestions?

2. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

3. Korvus

4. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

Oh that its just the idiots and pre patch. WiFi in a metal cage..... if its an issue a micro USB wiFi stick will fix that. Either way that issue has been patched since. Check out Lenovo support page.

First MAC Unibody had the exact same issue with WiFi.

5. malbluff

malbluff What's a Dremel?

Dell XPS are, at least, worth a look, both 13" standard, and 14" ultra. It's a case of working out ideal model, on Dell's site (no mean task), and shopping around for a "sensible" price. I've got an XPS (not that size), and found build/performance pretty good, as is after-sales. Perhaps not 5*, but maybe 4.

6. hughwi

hughwi Minimodder

Amy particular reason you aren't sticking with mac? There are some pretty good deals on last years air models knocking around at the moment

7. Marvin-HHGTTG

Marvin-HHGTTG CTRL + SHIFT + ESC

Asus U46-SV is within budget (it's ~£700), fits all your requirements (14", good build quality, good keyboard, fast i5 Sandy, GT640M on Optimus, light weight (~2kg) and great battery life at 7-8 hrs web browsing/document writing/programming). Then you can spend a bit extra on an SSD if desired.

8. Madness_3d

Madness_3d Bit-Tech/Asus OC Winner

^ This, I think they're replacing the U46SV with the U46SM which has a 630M chip

9. Korvus

Can't find anywhere in the UK that sells this, is this a us market laptop or just not available in the UK yet? will have another look when I get home.

As for Dell... Nope. Too many horror stories, including my own experiences.

Apple is good but very expensive, even last year's models :c

10. McDuff32

McDuff32 Minimodder

Keep an eye on ebay for 'good as new' Sony Vaio Z series laptops.

I just got one for £750 inc shipping which was
    13.3" - 1600x900
    Core i5-2450m
    128gb SSD
    4Gb RAM
    1.17kgs
    and included the power media dock (contains 1gb 6650m, dvd drive and extra ports)

11. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

leno thinkpad edge E330 isn't bad for the price. I got an HD 6630 in mine but they seem to have replaced it with the GT610 now.