Windows The dreaded BSOD

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by mattyh1995, 30 Aug 2012.

1. mattyh1995

mattyh1995 Minimodder

Right, I have my cousins laptop next to me which she uses to work from home. To do this, she logs on to a virtual machine via the Citrix client. After a random period of time her laptop will BSOD and shut down before the message can properly be read.

What could be causing this? I'm sorry it's so vague, i'll give details as they arise.

2. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

1- Disable auto restart on BSOD: http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windows7/ht/automatic-restart-windows-7.htm

2- Check temperatures to make sure nothing overheats, and a overheating protection kicks in.

3- Ensure that the latest drivers are installed and no virus or malware exists. Remember that virus attacks that has been removed only neutralizes them, and doesn't repair damaged files.

3. tripwired

tripwired Deploying Surprise in 3... 2...1...

Yeah this could be a temperature issue, I see it a lot with laptops. Try downloading CoreTemp and seeing what the temp readouts are. If they're in the 70°+ range you might have a problem.

4. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

Might be the cooling system is getting clogged up, which tends to happen with notebooks over time, so yes I concur with the overheating theory.

5. Lorquis

Lorquis lorquisSpamCount++;

^-- This... especially if there's any pets around.. especially sneaky cats who like to bloody malt within a 5 mile radius of anything electrical...

Oh and tobacco smoke (well the tar in the vapour and smoke) tends to get in as well and mix with dust and gum it all up..

6. lysaer

lysaer Suck my unit! Kirk lazarus (2008)

check the event viewer and debug the dump file if it is not overheating

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

7. mattyh1995

mattyh1995 Minimodder

Yeah, it isn't overheating. This dump file, where would I find it? I barely know anything about BSOD, since I never have issues with it.

8. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

If you disabled auto-restart upon BSDO as pointed above, on the next BSOD, you should get an error, written in all caps.
    Example, of one many possible errors: DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

Here is what is important to us:
    [​IMG]