Planning How to get mesh to "fold" on corners?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by N4ch007, 13 Sep 2012.

1. N4ch007

N4ch007 What's a Dremel?

Hello guys. I'm trying to get myself into modding and sadly the first problem I found is that the case I have to work with right now is 1cm too small for the CM Hyper 212+ it will be housing.

The nicest solution I came up with took me a lot of research to find something similar already done, but finally came to this photo of a RAIDMAX Seiran case:

[​IMG]

See how the mesh is extruded to make the case "bigger" by allowing more space inside with the cover on? I need to do exactly that, but since I'm also new to materials and tools, I have no idea how to do it.
    I mean, if it try to do that on a piece of paper, the corners are too big to be folded.

How can I achieve something like this?

Hope I explained myself well.

Thanks for your help!

2. dunx

dunx ITX is where it's at !

Make a wooden mould and then fold down, cutting where necessary, the mesh will distort/stretch at corners...

Good luck !

dunx

3. Conica

Conica What's a Dremel?

That has been pressed out with a large punch and die, Not easy to replicate with hand tools, Doable certainly, But expect it to be fiddly

4. jeckulz

jeckulz What's a Dremel?

As dunx said, use wood.
    You cut 2 boards of wood with the exact dimensions of your window/fan hole/whatever apeture youre looking to mesh.
    Then cut a second board aprox 15mm smaller on all sides (using the photo as reference).

Lay the mesh on one of the first 2 boards that you cut, then lay the other on top of the mesh creating a 'mesh sandwich', then clamp the 2 boards together....
    Not too tight, you only want enough pressure to prevent the wood boards from seperating in the next step.

Line the smaller board up in the middle of the hole and press down, keeping eveything lined up.

Et voila, you SHOULD have a nicely pressed mesh ready for your case.

5. N4ch007

N4ch007 What's a Dremel?

I appreciate your responses! I now know how to work the mesh!
    Sadly it has proveen almost impossible to get that material where I live, so I'm reaching for other ideas :(
    BUT I'm using your method on plain aluminium to make the extuded part of the case, and then I will cut the inside to add a window, I believe it will look even better than the mesh itself.