Cases Adapter to mount 120mm fan in 140mm bay?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Taniniver, 26 Sep 2012.

1. Taniniver

Taniniver Minimodder

This is for my Antec P190 case with two 140mm fan mounts in the roof.

I've been considering some all in one liquid coolers but they come with 120 mm radiator/fan so the mounting holes would not be in the correct place.

I'd prefer not to start drilling holes in the case so what I'm looking for are some adapter brackets that screw into 140mm fan mounting holes then give you the holes in the necessary positions for 120mm fans.

Does anyone know of these and where they could be bought online? I'm in the UK

2. mrMonkeyChunks

mrMonkeyChunks EVGA Cheesecake

3. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Also worth pointing out that you should use the adapter between the fan and the cooler - that way you're drawing air throughout as much of the radiator as possible, eliminating a bit of the deadspot caused by the motor. :)

4. jammy_fred

jammy_fred Minimodder

Last edited: 26 Sep 2012
  5. mrMonkeyChunks

6. jammy_fred

jammy_fred Minimodder

Yep, I din't see it until after I had submitted as i had been on the post for more than 3 minutes :duh:

7. Taniniver

Taniniver Minimodder

Cheers guys. I wasn't sure about that one though in terms of strength - being made of plastic, and mounted in the roof, it would be supporting the weight of the radiator and fan - do you think it would be OK?

Krikkit - I wouldn't be able to mount it between the fan and the radiator unless I mounted it in a pull orientation:

Case
    Adapter
    Fan
    Radiator

Would you recommend such a setup?

8. mrMonkeyChunks

9. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Plastic one would be alright I think - it's not being wrenched around frequently, so don't worry.

As far as push v pull goes, I don't think you'll see more than a couple of degrees difference between the two, most likely offset by various other factors too. :)

10. Taniniver

Taniniver Minimodder

Thanks. Looking at those results I'm not sure how I would actually connect the metal Koolance ones - they seem to be intended for use with one of their products, and at £12 each (once you include delivery) I wouldn't like to take the chance and find they don't let me mount the radiator/fan I have in mind.

I'll give the Bitspower one a try at £4.50, not much lost if I can't make it fit :)