1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks BT Infinity?

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Guinevere, 27 Sep 2012.

1. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

Hi

I'm currently using BE internet and get around 9.7Mb down (It's estimated to be 5 to 8Mb but I'm only 0.8miles from the exchange), and I'm paying a somewhat insane £27 a month for unlimited / static IP.

I no longer need the static IP and I'm finding the ~10meg a bit rubbish at times even when on say iPlayer if the other half is working on the line.

BT says I can get Infinity with ±76Mb for £26 a month.

Now it's been a while since I've had BT for broadband and the support I had back then was dreadful. Since then my only experience has been with the in-laws and they have no end of trouble with their line and then has a knock on effect with the net. It still drops out every time the phone rings, and that's with a fresh hom-hub. In fairness to BT I arranged the hub replacement and while they refused to deviate from their automatic script I did get a new box delivered in a couple of days.

So how's BT now? If I'm switching form BE to BT am I going to be in a world of hurt?

Any alternatives? And no I can't get cable here.

2. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

ive heard good things about inifinity and it is capable of delivering said speed.

the only thing that gets me is its not £26/month its £36-37 due to line rental !!!!

im with virgin on 20mb and i only pay £21.50 and that's it, no line rental, no additional extras just broadband.

3. rollo

rollo Modder

Glad I'm still on my original BE deal £18 unlimited + static ip pity I get crap all speed though, living in the sticks is the problem. Bt infinity looks great but read the small print carefully if you don't own a bt line rental you can add that to the bill. And bt infinity unlimited is expensive your looking at £45 for unlimited broadband and calls certainly not a cheap option.

4. Votick

Votick My CPU's hot but my core runs cold.

I'm on Infinity but under TalkTalk, cracking speeds.

I was on 3.5meg now I get 60mbps down and 13mbps up.

Also 12 months of LoveFilm streaming for free, Keeps my net connection busy :)

5. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

I have FTTC (BT Infinity) with ADSL24 - it's not really any cheaper than BT Infinity, but their customer service is excellent. I used to get 1.8mb down and next to nothing up. I now get 55mb down and 15 up (5.6MB/s downloading from steam means 2GB downloads in around 6 minutes :D). You still have to pay line rental to BT so it's not cheap compared to Virgin but in my area there's no choice - you either have traditional broadband for cheap but slow or FTTC for more but MUCH faster.

The upside / downside depending on how you look at it with ADSL24 is that they'll supply the modem (well BT Openreach do) and then you supply your own router. For me that's an upside as their modem is rock solid and I can have a decent router with gigabit ports etc etc. They do have a download limit depending on your package but for me is 30GB/month at peak times (8am-8pm weekdays) but totally unlimited off-peak (8pm - 8am and all weekend) which is when I do my downloading anyway. Also you get a static IP which is handy :thumb:

6. modd1uk

modd1uk Multimodder

I was on virgin for several years, and was pulling around 140mb through my connection...however virgin was never really stable for me, I would have a week of constant crashes.

I moved house a month ago and virgin wasn't available so i opted for BT infinity 2, touch wood it hasnt dropped once and it gives good solid consistent results, yes i can only get just over 50mb...but its solid and consistent. I did away with the homehub and put my own router on, very simple to do.

The only thing is..its not a static IP if you reset the equipment you get a new address, I have however managed to acquire a free dyndns address, put that into my Asus router and away I go, better than a static IP as i dont have to remember any numbers ;).

7. phuzz

phuzz This is a title

You're only getting 9MB down and you're only 0.8miles from the exchange? You might want to check with BE if they can switch ADSL2 on your line.
    I've not used BE for a few years now, but they used to be really helpful with things like that.

8. narwen

narwen narwen

"drops out every time the phone rings" either noisy line, bad filter or bell wire

9. S1KO85

S1KO85 What's a Dremel?

I have infinity 2 and it is excellent. Only thing I would say is that BT do like to actively manage your connection so not recommended if you download a lot with Torrents. I was only achieving sub 100kbs.

Sent from Bittech Android app

10. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

Sounds great, might try and talk my dad into upgrading on our account, only an extra £5 a month IIRC, and we've got a pretty good deal from TalkTalk at the moment. :D