Windows Windows 7 Install issue

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by greshoff, 6 Oct 2012.

1. greshoff

greshoff Minimodder

I have decided to build a new computer so I have a decent working computer then spend some time resolving the issues with my old computer.
    The computer is built apart from the SSD which I am still waiting for. I have hooked up a temporary 320gb HDD. When I try to install windows I get the following:

Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk has an MBR partition table. On EFI systems, Windows can only be installed to GPT disks

This is new to me and not sure how to resolve this issue. I have googled but as yet not found an answer. Any ideas?

The new computer is as follows:
    Intel Core i5 3570K,1155, Ivy Bridge, Quad Core, 3.4GHz, 5 GT/s DMI, 650MHz GPU, 6MB Smart Cache, 34x Ratio, 77W,
    Gigabyte GA-Z77-D3H, Intel Z77, S 1155, DDR3, SATA III - 6Gb/s, SATA RAID, PCIe 3.0, D-Sub/ DVI-D/ HDMI, ATX
    8GB (2x4GB) Corsair DDR3 XMS3 PC3-12800 (1600), Non-ECC Unbuffered, CAS 9-9-9-24, 1.5V

2. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Where do you get this? When you pic where you install Windows?
    If so, then you need to click on the Format button to reformat it properly.

3. Mechh69

Mechh69 I think we can make that fit

You can get a linux distro and format it with linux first(i would suggest the newest version of ubantu), run the disc test in ubantu and make sure the disc is good (ubantu will tell you if the disc is bad or not with the smart monitor). Then go back put the windows disc in and when you get weather to upgrade or do custom advance install go with the second option when your disc comes up delete all partitions, click on new partition and windows will create 2 partitions from the un partitioned space one will be 100MB and the other will be the rest of the disc. Then on the big partition press the format button and wait for it to finish. After it is finished pick the large partition to install windows on and it should go on it's own from there.

4. HechEff

HechEff What's a Dremel?

As GoodBytes suggested, have you tried formatting it through your current hardware setup via command (assuming that's all you have to handle it)?

5. greshoff

greshoff Minimodder

Thanks for the replies. Sorry I have not responded, I have been away and only just returned. OK, an update- I installed a ssd and installed windows 7 however when the system is rebooted I get a massage saying 'missing operating system'
    Not sure what is going on. Never had so many issues trying to get a computer up and running. Any ideas on sorting this out. I tried deleting the the 2 partitions that the windows install created and reinstalled but same issue.
    Can I use diskpart to clean the SSD or is this not recommended with ssd's?

6. GoodBytes

Is your SSD set to SATA port 0?
    Did you set the Boot order to load your SSD at some point?
    Is your SATA controller where your SSD and HDD (if any) set to AHCI mode?

7. greshoff

greshoff Minimodder

Yes, SSD is on SATA port 0
    Boot order:
    1 DVD
    2 SSD
    SATA controiller set to ACHI mode in BIOS

8. PAULWARDEN

PAULWARDEN What's a Dremel?

9. GoodBytes

DO NOT FOLLOW ANYTHING after post #2 in the above link. Unless you purchase a low end SSD (async), which you try to desperately keep for over 3-4 years. The "optimizations" in the link will hurt your computer performance, and experience with Windows (expect issues that you didn't have before). I HIGHLY recommend to AVOID them.

If you don't know what SSD type you have, tell me the brand and model and I'll tell you. The general rule of thumb is: 3 year warranty -> async based memory SSD, 5 years+ warranty -> sync based memory. They are exceptions. Warranty is longer on synchronous based SSD due to their massive increase in writes that they do do over asynchronous bases memory SSD.

When you have a sync based SSD, feel free to treat the SSD as an HDD (minus defrag), and it will last for many years after the warranty.

Last edited: 13 Oct 2012
  10. PAULWARDEN

thanks goodbytes i have a crucial v4 256gb ssd

11. GoodBytes

The Crutial V4 uses asynchronous memory.
    So here are your choices:

1) Use your SSD comfortably, no tweak or anything like that. Keep several GB (maybe 10 or 20GB) of free space, for the SSD to use to replace blocks that can't be written anymore. But expect it to change it at 3 years mark (of course it depends on usage. It might last 8 years+ too. But expect to start doing backups and looking at a new SSD down the line close to 3 years since you used it, to be extra safe).

2) Perform all these tweaks, reduce your experience of Windows, and expect possible issues by doing them. But you'll have your SSD last 5 years possibly more. All the tweaks mentioned on the post, basically cuts down the writes, or moves them to a HDD, which reduces performance (as you are using an HDD, so your SSD, in some situation is pointless), and disable performance enhancement by Windows, and do things you should not done, which can result to software crash unexpectedly, and losing your work.

So if you want to follow Paul's link, then go ahead, but if you chose path 1), just ignore all the OS tweaks, and so call "optimization".

12. PAULWARDEN

thanks for the advice goodbytes only followed that link as it was suggested to me by my friend who also gave me the SSD