News VUPEN sells Windows 8 zero-day vulnerability code

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 2 Nov 2012.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. TheDodoKiller

TheDodoKiller Minimodder

It'd be interesting to know what they sell it for in the end. It's probably quite a big blow for Microsoft, but I'm assuming no-one outside of VUPEN knows that it works? Could it all just be made up?

3. dyzophoria

dyzophoria Minimodder

sounds like they are waiting for Microsoft to pay them for the disclosure,lol, based on what they do, VUPEN looks like a prosecution lawyer :D , on the other hand since its win8+ie10 (which recently was always the case), then a simple (as always) do not use IE10 is the temporary solution

4. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

What a bunch of arseholes

5. sub routine

sub routine Archie Gemel

if they sold it to anyone other than micrsoft then surely they would open themselves upto and accessory as by definition this is "malitious" code

6. lacuna

lacuna Minimodder

I'm surprised people like this aren't made to 'disappear' by MS

7. deathtaker27

deathtaker27 Modder

All code has loopholes in it, anyone ever seen a program without some kind of security issue

8. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

since code is written by humans, and windows 8 was probably worked on by hundreds if not thousands off peeps there will always be flaws, I think VUPEN should be held accountable for not disclosing responsibly to Microsoft the flaws they have found

9. sixfootsideburns

sixfootsideburns modeteer

Anyone else think Microsoft would benefit from just buying companies like VUPEN? If they are so good at finding exploits, just buy them and then step back and let them keep doing the dirty work they already do. Accept now its a benefit not a threat.

Maybe I'm missing the point but it would certainly make sense to me. Its like goverments hiring hackers... If you already know they are good at it, why don't you just make it more beneficial for them to work for you than against you?

10. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

This kind of behavior should be illegal. But who am I kidding, doing this, will make them sale it to teh balck market secretly, and make things worse.

11. fdbh96

fdbh96 What's a Dremel?

People like this should be able to get prosecuted. If the exploit affects even a small percentage of win 8, it could be a disaister. Sure microsoft should pay them for it but they should be prevented from selling it to anyone else. Microsoft get screwed over enough as it is.

12. rollo

rollo Modder

Testing should of found these flaws

13. TheBitterNoob

TheBitterNoob What's a Dremel?

@rollo its not simple as that though,Testing doesn't reveal every flaw a code and given the constrains the coders are given even if they found this specific flaw they may likely not embed the fix into the build in time.

14. dyzophoria

dyzophoria Minimodder

if its only as simple as that buddy.. all systems have flaws, fixing the flaws fast is where is the measure on how good a company is :)

15. towelie

towelie How do I Internet!!

Guys did anyone think windows 8 wasn't going to be vulnerable? Even when the beta/CP was out there were working exploits against it.

16. LordPyrinc

LordPyrinc Legomaniac

If I wanted an OS that looks like Windows 8, I'd simply update to a newer Smart Phone. I plan on sticking with Windows 7 as long as possible.

As for VUPEN, I'm surprised that they can legally get away with this sort of behavior. From the sound of it, they aren't even trying to hide what they are doing.

17. Kacela

Kacela What's a Dremel?

/me applauds the proper use of "cracker." :) The difference is intent.

18. leexgx

leexgx CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

VUPEN is in France so should not be to hard for MS to do something to them as they are for the most part selling ways to bypass security in windows is illegal as they are contributing to users losing money when one of these 0day stuff happens

19. PingCrosby

PingCrosby What's a Dremel?

When is Windows 9 out?

20. jb0

jb0 Minimodder

Once. I believe I even have the source.

10 PRINT "Hello world."
    20 END

Votick likes this.