Networks Sky broadband - Your Experiences

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Guest-44432, 11 Nov 2012.

?

Your Sky broadband experience?

1. Sky Caps my speeds at certain times inc Peer2peer

3.4%
  2. Sky has been problem free and fast anytime of day

55.2%
  3. Sky Caps only Peer2peer at certain times. But does not cap anything else.

3.4%
  4. I would not recommend Sky broadband

44.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Taniniver

Taniniver Minimodder

If they are available to you, check out PlusNet - they do manage traffic during peak times, but they are very clear about what, when, and how much:

http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/speed_guide/traffic_management.shtml

Also, at least on their regular broadband products, you can pay an extra £5 per month (for their "Extra" product) to get all types of traffic at full speed all the time. I'm on it now, and previously P2P speeds in the evenings were down to 200 kilobytes per second. Now that I'm on Extra, I can get the full line speed (currently 13.5 Megabits) any time.

EDIT: It looks like they throttle P2P even on "Extra" now between 8 and 10 PM only. But at least they tell you about it :) More info here:

http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/speed_guide/download_speeds.shtml

EDIT 2: Got confused about what package and options I'm on, sorry :p The £5 extra per month thing is to go "Pro", and that does indeed give full line speed for all traffic types all the time, as per the page above states.

Last edited: 13 Nov 2012
  2. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

Had their TV service and they are the best at that service, but when i asked them about what speed I would get for their internet service I quickly changed to virgin. Sky could not even give me 1mb and with BIt had the 8mb running at about 4mb. My average speed now is 48 mb download and 4mb upload.

I would go back to them however if there internet connection improved as I find their customer service brilliant.

3. Exarchi

Exarchi What's a Dremel?

Used Sky ADSL for 2 years myself. Had quite a good experience but unfortunately doesn't compete with virgin.

4. Joey Propane

Joey Propane What's a Dremel?

Sky blow. My download speed caps at around the 700kb/s mark, averages around 450-500kb/s on a good week. The problem I have is that every couple of weeks it'll turn to a steaming pile of dial-up slow turd for a few days... It's nothing my end because nothing ever changes, it'll be working fine one night, I come home from work the next day and it's running like crap, 2-4 days later it'll suddenly be running fine again. When it first started happening I phoned them up and they just gave me the generic "check your filters" garbage, there was never a problem their end. I don't even bother nowadays.

It's frustrating because my mate lives about a 10 minute walk away, uses the same exchange (also with Sky) and gets a consistent 1-1.5mb/s download rate with no random slow-down period.

5. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

I've not experienced any slow downs, although i am shocked with my 768k upload speed, BE managed 1mb, 2mb on a good day.

Sam