Windows Windows 8 Marmite thread... Because you either love it or hate it

Discussion in 'Software' started by TheStockBroker, 28 Feb 2012.

?

Windows 8: what is your opinion?

1. Love it: I'm already using it or planning to do so.

59 vote(s)
    41.0%
  2. Hate it: this evil spawn of Satan will never defile the sanctity of my computer.

37 vote(s)
    25.7%
  3. It's OK with a Start Menu replacement and while bypassing Metro.

48 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

To be more exact, here is the primary source of problem.

• File directly on the NAS :
      [​IMG]
    • File on the share accessed through Dokan SSHFS or via hardlink to share created using the following command :
      Code:
      C:\NAS>mklink /d Music \\Prometheus\Music
      symbolic link created for Music <<===>> \\Prometheus\Music
      [​IMG]

And this pretty much sums up the problem. File can be read directly even with the Dokan/mklink solutions, that means VLC, Windows Media Player etc have no issues. But the Windows indexing/Metro Music app/shell extension showing the ID3 tags are playing by the rules, checking all access rights - and they fail on that, resulting in no ID3 tags shown, files not being able to be played etc.

It is already starting to show up on various NAS manufacturer forums, so we will either get a nice Samba development for the Windows Search functionality, MS will come up with some solution for indexing remote locations/adding them to library or we will have to wait for other solutions, like the skydrive/flickr addins to the Pictures viewer.

2. impar

impar Minimodder

3. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

it's not just a nas problem, my music folder is on an sbs server, with permissions set to only allow certain individuals to access it(family members), and the no tag problem showed up there too, as you said windows media player et al, saw no issues, but xbox music does.

4. faugusztin

Well, then it's more FUBAR than i expected :D.

5. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

I went to try out hyper-v built into windows 8 pro the other day, only to be disappointed that my processors on current machines don't have the required Second Level Address Translation (SLAT).

bummer.... but an excuse to use to upgrade my machine now ;-)

6. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

I wonder how hyper-v compares to vmware and oracles offerings.

7. faugusztin

Ok, i found the most annoying "feature" so far (no, not the missing Start menu) - NumLock is turned off on the logon screen. Seems like it was there even before, but i had automatic logon enabled, so i didn't noticed it in Windows XP/Vista/7.

:wallbash:

8. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

I'm pretty sure theres a regedit for numlock on boot

9. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/154529

10. rollo

rollo Modder

reading those news posts impar

Tried a few of those start menu button applications and just decided its easier to disable metro than install one of those.

Have also struggled greatly to get my music to play in windows 8 due to the rights access management issues that others are having

Dont think theres anyone out there that expected windows 8 to boost pc sales which are on a continued decline, i dout they will improve anytime soon. The core hardware that most use can still be used on a 4-6 year old machine without alot of issues. And we are still in a recession.

What most hoped was microsoft could gain themselves a section of the tablet market, which has not happened as of yet. The main reasons i keep hearing about are the lack of usage the surface has if it does not have a Wifi Connection due to no 3g, To go along with no shops that are selling it outside of microsofts online store and a few stores around the world which are miles away to drive too for most. Wonder if Microsoft will release a new one next year with the required 3g 4g connectivity.

As it stands at the minute projects for windows rt tablets have been put on hold indefinitly from different manufactures, They were expecting a more higher uptake of the surface than has happened and after watching the nexus 7 take of in sales terms are probably struggling to justify the cost of R&D + Marketing to make any cash.

Some blog post the other day claimed apple had 110% of the hardware profits from the tablet market due the other big 2 ( amazon kindle and nexus ) been sold at a loss.

11. faugusztin

Did that, didn't work on 1st try. Works now, strange.

By the way, with P8Z77-I Deluxe + i7-2600K + GTX670 it is 11 seconds until windows starts booting, and another 17 seconds till the login screen.

12. GoodBytes

The problem, is that many people who get a cellphone wireless connection device tend to not use it. Data showed that only a tiny small percentage of people actually use 3G/4G on their iPad. So Microsoft decided not to put it. The ultimate question comes down to: What if the market the Surface is aimed at have a great majority of people who want 3G?

However, it must be noted that the Surface moderate sales is, as you mentioned, due to limited access to it. Plus many people prefer to use or look at the device physically first, before buying it. Steve Balmer did mention that. But Microsoft could not just sale their tablet everywhere, it enters the territories of OEMs. And I think, this moderate sales fall in exactly Microsoft strategy. Now that OEMs sees that Surface isn't a huge competitor, OEMs will be comfortable competing against it, and not worry too much. And when the Surface2 comes out.. now you'll see it in store shelf everywhere.

PC sales aren't declining. The thing is that for most people their current PC fits their needs. How many people still have a very old computer? I mean look at many of our parents, grand parents, and so on. Their system surf the web and plays YouTube videos fine or somewhat fine.. why change it? Tablets sales increases because you have now people that have or want a desktop computer for heavy work, smart phone to something on the go, and a tablet for using a device somewhere on the room, or light trip somewhere where you don't want to bring a laptop bag or backpack to carry the system. I see it as people getting a microwaves. Is it it the death of ovens? Of course not.

13. GoodBytes

You probably had to restart your computer.

I assume you are on a HDD and UEFI disabled?

Curiosity question, and off topic: How much time it takes for the moment you press the power button (please don't reset your computer when measuring this. Turn it off completely, and turn it back on), to go the Windows boot process (stop timer when right before the Windows logo shows).
    Here are my numbers: http://forums.bit-tech.net/showpost.php?p=3209863&postcount=11

14. faugusztin

As i said, the POST itself is 11 seconds. The entire process from pushing the power button to the login screen is 28 seconds.

15. GoodBytes

ok thanks.

16. faugusztin

Oh and sorry... UEFI boot, Samsung 830 256GB SSD.

17. GoodBytes

Ah ok, thanks.
    You should look into why Win8 takes so long to login.
    My laptop loads win8 (auto-login) to the start screen in 11sec (from shutdown state), and it's a 4 year old system: Core 2 Duo P8400 2.2GHz, 4GB of RAM DDR2 800MHz, Nvidia Quadro GPU, Corsair Force GT 120GB SSD.

18. faugusztin

USB hubs and devices. With no USB devices connected, it takes exactly 4.6 seconds from windows logo to the login screen (15-16 seconds from pressing the power button).

I got two hubs connected, one has two phones and printer connected to it, the other has the keyboard and the mouse. One of them probably slows down the boot process, but i leave the task of finding out which one to some other time, when i will be bored enough :lol:.

19. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!

Another backpedaling from Microsoft...

20. Exarchi

Exarchi What's a Dremel?

So how's windows 8 in terms of resource usage? Does it perform better than 7 in that manner?