1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Buying an iPad mini from the states, anything I need to consider?

Discussion in 'General' started by yodasarmpit, 18 Nov 2012.

1. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

I'm going to be in New York over New Year and whilst there I though I'd pick up an iPad mini.
    It makes sense as it works out about £70 cheaper, but is there anything I should be concerned about i.e. warranty?

I have a few iPad/iPhone chargers so not too worried about it coming with a US two pin socket.

So what have I not thought about?

Cheers

2. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Precisely nothing. Hardware is identical, and you've got the charging issue sorted. My only additional purchases would be a second Lightning-USB cable and a cover. Of course, this is assuming you're buying a WiFi version - if you're after LTE then you'll need to buy a very specific model.

Apple warranties are covered in the UK it appears (I've not tried with an iPad myself, but did have a US black MacBook in 2007 that had no problems being serviced at Regent Street), so that shouldn't be a problem.

That said, all you need to do is keep your receipt. I was never asked for proof I paid VAT/import duties.

3. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

It will be the wifi version, will use my phone to tether.

4. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Hot to trot then! Enjoy, I'm loving my Mini.

5. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

If you use your iPad Mini while in the States (i.e., unwrap it), then it becomes a used item and you pay no import duties back home, like you don't on e.g. the clothes or razor you packed for the journey.

6. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

Great, thanks guys.

7. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Just remember to hide the original box and wrapping. Then stare the customs officer intently in the eyes until they glaze over and say: "This is not the iPad you're looking for..."

8. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

To be honest, just ditch the box in the US. You don't need it, and without a box nobody is going to stop you for anything.

That said, when I was a young 'un I brought a brand new, sealed, PlayStation 2 back through customs from the US in a carrier bag. Customs official asked "Oh my God, how much was it? I want to get one for my kids when it comes out here!" and waved me through.

9. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

I'm not overly familiar with Apple chargers but as far as I am aware the mini has the new "lightning" connector rather than the old style connector - so watch out that your old iPhone chargers won't fit.

10. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

That shouldn't be a problem, as the other end is standard USB. The USB port plugs into the wall socket charger.

11. julianmartin

julianmartin resident cyborg.

I did this with my iPad 2 - bought it in LA. I asked the guys in the Apple store what the story was with warranty and they said it's honoured in any country that Apple officially operate in or something like that. It was no issue and mine has never had any issues, doesn't think I'm in America and so on.

12. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

you'll be fine.. trust me...

13. morkfromork

morkfromork Minimodder

Don't forget that New York has 8.875% sales tax that needs to be added to the price. I brought an iPad 3 in August when I was in NYC and Washington. It was only 6% in Washington so I brought it there instead.

14. Zoon

Zoon Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

I grabbed an ipad 3 from New York for a tidy saving of £60 - as said above, don't forget the sales tax, they add this on in the store.

Also, you may save yourself another fiver by buying a pre-paid credit card at the airport on the way out and buying it off that than the rate you get on your credit card for an international purchase.

Make sure you tell your card provider you're going abroad. I forgot to do this and had to make a half hour international call to get it unlocked.

Finally - I didn't even bother to open the ipad, I just put it in my laptop bag and carried it back, but if you are worried about being stopped with it then as said above just put the box in your suitcase and put the ipad into a case/cover and use it a bit on the flight!

15. m3rk

m3rk What's a Dremel?

AFAIK there is no issue relating to the apple warranty, from the way i've read it it covers the device any part of the world.

16. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

I've been over to the states at least twice a year since 1995, each time going out with relatively empty bags and coming back just grams under the weight allowance. When I was in my PC-upgrade-itis phase, I regularly came back with boxed graphics cards, motherboards, CPUs etc.

I've never been stopped in customs, but maybe I'm lucky. I wouldn't worry too much about it. As others have said, keep your receipt somewhere inconspicuous and ditch the box if you're not too fussed about it. Just act casual as you're walking through the channel, maybe whistle whilst looking at the ceiling out of the corner of your eye :D