Planning alu radiatador

Discussion in 'Modding' started by siliconfanatic, 2 Dec 2012.

1. siliconfanatic

siliconfanatic Johny-come-Lately

so, at least my 3rd thread asking for help:blush:.... does anyone know where i could find black-framed radiators with aluminum/ALU-colored fins and channels? i am asking for a casemod i am planning to hopefully start before Christmas/shortly after if i can bring grades... my current rig just isn't gonna cut it for heavy 3d rendering/planning on this pathetic amd stock cooler which my grandfather actually put on such a hot CPU:eyebrow:(i no! BLASPHEMY I SAY! BLASPHEMY!!!:miffed:) so this is being roughly planned out on a sheaf of half-scale graph paper cheesecake....

2. hyperion

hyperion Minimodder

None that I am aware of tbh. Most radiators are brass with copper fins and some recent ones are full Cu afaik. It's not the same but maybe you could get a company to strip the paint off a normal rad, then nickel-coat the channels and fins and paint the frame black. Not really the same effect though...

3. siliconfanatic

maybe i could paint 'em? i unno if itd be the same effect or would the paint insulate and essentially nullify the radiator?

4. asura

asura jack of all trades

Even when HWLabs did a limited edition chrome plated radiator, it was the case not the fins that were plated.

The coating on most radiators fins (I'm not going to call it paint, as I'm not sure that it's not a chemical patina) is really, really thin, and produces little/no measurable impingement for the thermal transfer.

Painting the fins will make a big dent in the thermal exchange, it shouldn't be terminal but getting a good strong silver from a metallic paint would certainly negate the advantages of water-cooling unless you can find one that's specifically designed for thermal transfer, you'd be better off with a decent air cooler.

I think that XSPC's new radiators can be disassembled, core from frame, either that or I just saw some early production shots where they were in parts... In they can be taken apart, then you could send the core away to be plated and then slide it back in the untouched frame.

5. siliconfanatic

do they come in 480 mm? if so then by gawd link me up. :thumb:

6. yoishiro

yoishiro What's a Dremel?

7. Vetalar

Vetalar *learning english*

i saw couple _car_ heaters with alu unpainted fins. search automotive parts...

8. jamsand

jamsand Minimodder

9. siliconfanatic

PERFECT! thank you guys sooo much! rep shall be spread around!