Windows Farcry 3 - your tips/tricks, findings and thoughts

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by aLtikal, 6 Dec 2012.

1. aLtikal

aLtikal 1338-One step infront of the pro's

SO I'm really enjoying FC3 currently, only played it for a few hours but I've got 4/5 radio towers explored and its good fun so far.

A few thoughts id like to share.

I bought the bow really early on and what an important decision it was! Being able to silently take out enemies is awesome when capturing bases. It's very easy to lure one enemy away from two others by throwing a rock, then shooting the second with your bow and performing a take-down and body drag kill on the third. This has become my go to-method when clearing out an enemy base - and take an approach that means you can always see the alarm so they cant bring in re-inforcements in case you are spotted.

If things go pear shaped and an enemy is about to turn a corner whilst you are exposed in the open its easy to get a bow-shot off before he can fire his gun and alert the whole camp. Ill deffo be focusing on getting the best archery skills and equipment as its so efficiant - and being able to pick up your arrows means clearing a camp is super easy and CHEAP.

What other tips/tricks do you have? Thoughts on the game?

2. ferret141

ferret141 Minimodder

I have yet to work out how much I should compensate with the bow.
    I bought a silenced pistol as soon as possible and used that with takedowns to clear outposts. Later one I got myself a silenced sniper rifle. Still prefer taking down a whole outpost.

I totally agree with the WTF review by totalbiscuit that someone posted here somewhere. I wish that Ubisoft did more to the game to make it a survivor type.

3. hugo60

hugo60 What's a Dremel?

There is a sight for the bow which shows the drop at different distances, you might not have unlocked it yet though. I agree that it's really fun to use, makes hunting more fun as well rather than spraying them down with an assault rifle.

I have been running with an assault rifle, silenced smg, silenced sniper and bow in 4th slot. Haven't really felt the need to change but i'm sure there are other efficient ways to get things done. Some of the skills you unlock to do with take-downs are really cool, makes you feel like a badass when you swiftly clear a camp without detection.

The game has exceeded my expectations tbh, after seeing the trailer i wasn't that excited and considered not even picking it up. I like the balance between the freedom of open world and then the focused story missions as well if that's what you prefer. Also, I think most would agree that Vaas is one of the coolest 'bad guys' in any games of recent years.

4. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

I am mostly sniping the camps from a distance with a silenced sniper rifle. If I am feeling brutal, I just wade in with the signature shotgun and some body armour - which is awesome!

I cleared the whole of the North Island before advancing the storyline. The missions I find are the worse bit - too many 'movie moments' and QTE sequences. I could not care less if his friends survive or not to be honest - they are pretty empty characters - I just love the free roam.

If I was the president of the world I would make it illegal to use QTE sequences - it's lazy.

5. [ZiiP] NaloaC

[ZiiP] NaloaC Multimodder

Ordered the Lost Expedition version today, so should have it next wednesday. Very much looking forward to getting stuck in to it. :)

6. Draksis

Draksis What's a Dremel?

Personally I dont like the bow, the silenced sniper is way better. The only problem I have is that there is a max distance that the game registers a hit from the gun, and some times that is less than the view distance (and yes I've tryed compensating for bullet drop etc in case they programmed that into the game :p )

As for taking out outposts, I like to have one of the last pirates set to alarm off. I then listen for what direction the backup will come from, and quickly plant some C4 along that road, and run of the bushes :D

Also wish the flashlight that Jason uses was more pointed. Currently it more like he uses one of those ambiant camping lights. A bit of a suspense killer when you hunting bears in dark caves.

7. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

Loving the game just wish I'd had more time to play this week. Just met vaas for the second time, been mostly just taking radio towers, clearing bases and killing wildlife to make containers for my weapons (weird).

Sometime I manage to take a base stealthy but mostly I lose cover and just end up going crazy with c4 and shotgun

8. bdigital

bdigital Is re-building his PC again

Youve got a dell u27 havnt you? How are you finding it runs at 2560x1440?

9. DLDeadbolt

DLDeadbolt Space Cadet

I got the Suppresor for the M-700 sniper as soon as i could.

My current gear setup is a signature assaultrifle that is silenced, the bulldog shotgun, the MS-16 semi-auto rifle silenced with extended scope, and the Z-93 Sniper rifle (.50cal it seems like) that is silenced.

Usual tactics for base capturing would be to find the nearest high ground and use the binocs to identify any threats and their patrol routes / sight lines. Then move to a point atleast 1/4 of the way around to check any blind spots.

Then its time to hunt.

Any target I can safely snipe, that won't be detected, will die without knowing what was happening.
    If there is an animal cage, wait for the closest enemy to be a safe distance away, then shoot the door out.
    Move up using cover, holes in fences, etc and silently take out patrols with the knife and with the body drag skill, move them behind buildings/fences or into a bush (Note: this doesnt always work as the coding is sloppy so that the AI can still see through walls sometimes).

Don't forget to manually disable the alarm. Shooting it might be noticed by the enemy but also during their patrol. And if there is a 2nd alarm box, they most likely will run and activate it.

Once the patrols are dealt with its time to kill the stationary targets in the open, usually one or two. This is where the Knife throw takedown skill is epic. Knife takedown the 1st guy, and if the 2nd is within range and sight, then a nice little dagger should be spouting from his throat very shortly.

One thing to be aware of, always listen for patrol cars. They can change a stealth op into a firefight rather quickly.

I also advise doing the main mission to the point that you unlock all the skills, and take Heavy Beatdown for a knife takedown on Heavy Gunners and Flamers (sadly, Death from above/below doesn't stack with this.
    Another good skill is the Takedown Looting... saves you wasting time looting the bodies later.

I've already completed the story line, unlocked all radio towers (18/18), have all bases captured on the Main island and 3 or 4 on the south island. Just working on collecting all the letters/statues/loots for 100%.

Don't forget to upgrade all your pouches by hunting. or buying the loot maps.
    Once

10. alf-

alf- Minimodder

Just completed the main storyline today, have to say i really enjoyed the game.

The main missions were really good, the characters were also well made and voiced, and the setting was pretty fantastic to play in.

As for the negatives, i thought there were too many outposts, i didn't see why there were so many , I'd rather have less but make them more difficult to capture.
    35 just seemed like too many, i still haven't captured several, as i just couldn't be bothered and there was no real point in doing so, during the early-mid game its important to capture the outposts, but late game not so much.

Though saying that, I'd emphasis the outposts/checkpoints in far cry 3 are miles better than the checkpoints in far cry 2, capturing the outposts in far cry 3 actually feels like you achieved something as you actually capture and hold them, whereas in far cry 2 you would destroy a checkpoint and as soon as you turn your back it magically re-spawned.

Other than a few to many outposts, and some of the side quests being a bit repetitive, i have no real faults with the game, I'd certainty give it a 9/10.

No shredder?
    That thing was ridiculous, silent, no recoil and a massive magazine, it more or less replaced the assault rifle for me, though i did keep the ms-16 in my setup as it did come in handy every so often.

but definitely +1 to getting suppressed m-700 as soon as possible, makes clearing outposts so much easier.

11. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

I seem to get some choppiness which is not framerate related, but need to check my driver settings as apparently this can be caused by trying to force AA through the driver.

Generally frames seem fine though bobby, never seems to drop below 40.

Another thing i have noticed is quite a lot of texture flicker, need to try without my OC and see if this is artifacting or just the engine

12. Draksis

Draksis What's a Dremel?

Agreed. Would have also have preferred more of a challenge here. I also think they should have made some bigger than others. I'm nearly done with the main island, and all of them are tiny. Maybe build a few into caves so you can't just snipe them all.

13. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

Here's my winning strategy for the fight after the Cenote (trying not to spoil anything) since i found myself having to retry that one a good couple of times.

*Take down the first guy, grab shotgun
    *Run up behind the two guys, you can use takedowns here or shoot them in the interest of time (you can actually kill both with one shot sometimes)
    *Either way grab the AK and the extra shotgun ammo
    *with the AK equipped take the elevated path on the right until you see the left sniper, shoot him
    *Get down to where he was, grab his SVD rifle, ignore the resupply points for now
    *Shoot the RPG guy with the SVD, now you can resupply and take out the random pirate assaults at your leisure
    *Move up to where the RPG bloke was, use the SVD to take out the two snipers across the bridge
    *Now grab the RPG and use it to take out the heavy, save one rocket if possible (or go back to the resupply points)
    *Go across the bridge and use your remaining rocket on the jeep full of reinforcements that will show up
    *Done

I really liked this bit because it dragged me out of my regular play style and forced me to use everything at my disposal.

14. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

I am about 10 hours in now and so far it has been really good fun. Not very deep or varied but fun enough to keep me entertained and interested.

15. aLtikal

aLtikal 1338-One step infront of the pro's

The one thing i wish you could do was dress as a civilian and approach a camp - be stopped by the guards who might ask for your ID or your purpose coming, give them a false lie or excuse (user chosen) in order to gain entry or get close to the camp, then be able to perform takeodowns by pressing the right combination of keys, or go loud and shoot everyone with your concealed pistol (which is all you're allowed to have).

Something like that means you dont just have to shoot every single person in the camp, and you can try and lie-yourself in to get close by pretending to be a civilian.

OR you could kill a patrol car, put the dead guys in their seats and drive it in the passenger seat hidden into the camp. haha

16. Draksis

Draksis What's a Dremel?

So. I finished the main story line. *cough*

All I'll say is: didn't expect that! :naughty: :eeek:

Major spoiler alert for ending:
    I mean, I chose to stick with the priestess (or whatever she is), mainly cause I figured that that way I would stay on the island. I thought the other choice would have ended the game.

17. Kiytan

Kiytan Shiny

been enjoying this game much more than i figured I would initially.

Currently using:

Bow - because it's awesome
    silenced sniper - for dealing with enemy snipers and taking out a few before moving in with the bow
    shotgun - for bears, cars, stuff like that
    flamethrower - for when I feel like burning everything to the ground, and watch the puny pirates cower in fear (the burning effects are really nice)

18. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

Aaaaargh! I hate it when they give me an open world and a choice of weapon and then in a mission they make me use one particular weapon and don't allow me to move or use any health drugs I have carfted!

Also, they give me the ability to craft a drug to help me hold my breath under water and then have a mission sequence under water where I am not allowed to use drugs!!!!

This is a great game but I am really starting to hate the mission sequences. If I wanted to play Call of Duty I would have bought the damn thing. It is as if they had two different development studios, one to work on the proper open world sections and the other to do the crappy on-rails missions.

Hmph!

19. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

Guys, how this game ends?
    I cleared the whole big island map, found the knife and now I'm on Vaas's island and mission is to kill Vaas. Is that the end of the game? Need to know cause I have a huge area uncovered at the south of the main island, so would like to do that before I go and kill Vaas....

20. hugo60

hugo60 What's a Dremel?

The story continues after you confront Vaas. I'm pretty sure you aren't allowed on the southern island until you have completed that mission.

Just completed the game myself and loved it, think I will continue and try to complete everything, well maybe not all 120 relics. I almost want to play through the game again just to replay some parts of the story.