Windows Can't access Win 8 start menu

Discussion in 'Software' started by streetuk, 21 Dec 2012.

1. streetuk

streetuk What's a Dremel?

Someone might see this as a blessing but I cannot get the Windows 8 start menu to appear. I hit the start key on the keyboard but nothing happens and I can't access the charms bar. Tried restarting as well but nothing. When I login it just goes straight to desktop. Any ideas? I've tried google but the only results I can get is how to get the old windows start menu back :worried:

2. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Install Start 8 by Stardock software! Windows 8 has no start menu.

3. aramil

aramil One does not simply upgrade Forums

Is it a fresh install? Or an upgrade install?

What is your resolution?

Have you installed your graphics drivers?

Sent on my CM10 JB powered i9100 by TapaTalk 2

4. streetuk

I can see why you've got 3000+ posts with pointless ones like this.

It's an upgrade from windows 7 home premium with no problems so far besides this one. Not installed anything at all besides some new drivers for my nvidia card a few days ago to play far cry 3. I played that today, exited to the desktop and then tried to get to the start menu and it just does nothing. My resolution is 2560 x 1440 but like I said, I've had it since 8 was released with no problems.

5. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

In fairness blogins does some good work around the forums. There's no need to be snarky.

If you installed drivers and your system is a bit funny I would try rolling back. See if you have some restore points you could try.

6. streetuk

Fair enough. Although I believe I was just being snarky to a snarky comment. Like I said though, it worked fine after I'd updated the gfx drivers (which was a few days ago) so I don't think it could be that - I will try it though as a last resort. I would have already tried the new win 8 feature that reinstalls the OS without wiping anything but it wouldn't let me, said there was an explorer.exe error so I'm thinking this is an issue with that and not with the gfx drivers.

7. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

the refresh your pc will uninstall all your programs and drivers that weren't installed as part of windows or nui apps, but will leave your data untouched.

it does create a file with links where links are available to websites/downloads for the uninstalled stuff.

I've had to do it on my lappy after something went pete tong, I can't remember what it was now, lol, might have been a driver issue

8. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

Had this happen to me once or twice, but functionality returned after a while. Try Ctrl+Alt+Del, select Task Manager and check out if something is not frozen.

9. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

you could try restarting explorer.

ctrl+shift and right click on the taskbar.
    Select exit explorer
    ctrl+shift+Esc to bring up task manager
    file - run new task
    enter explorer.exe

Although it probably won't do much but what the hell.

10. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

That's interesting. It sounds like a program or driver is blocking Windows 8. They are some programs I encounter where instead of running hidden, the incompetent developer(s) behind it, decides to make a transparent window, of 1x1 or something like that, size, and put it on a corner of your screen. I recall Creative updater do/did this.

11. Orko

Orko What's a Dremel?

I don't know if you sorted this, but I was reading something about someone with a similar problem the other day on one of the windows forums. They repaired their installation using their CD and it solved their problems. Hope that helps ;)

Last edited: 30 Dec 2012