1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Overcoming lag!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by atc95, 5 Jan 2013.

1. atc95

atc95 I have the upgrade bug!

Basicaly I get huge lag in games like bf3 and bopsII, I know my internet is relatively slow (4mb/s download and 1mb/s upload at peak times) but if I were to get a network card like the killer 2100... would it help?

My current network is the ethernet port on my motherboard (see sig)

P.s. by huge lag I mean like 3 seconds behind real time, which is a lot for any game let alone fps. :(.

2. tehBoris

tehBoris What's a Dremel?

Those expensive network cards are more about off loading networking processing from the CPU. If it's your computer that's causing the lag may be it will help. Other wise it may improve frames rate ever so slightly.

I'd say do a trace route to try and determine the cause of the lag.

3. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Is it just ping? Or is it a loss of packets etc?

4. hamza_tm

hamza_tm Modder

They won't help i can assure you. You need to sort out your net connection. 2 seconds is ridiculous though, play on local servers, or at least those with the lowest ping.

Check your ping in game and report back!

5. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

are you on wireless ?

4mb is enough for most things and shouldnt cause that much lag

6. law99

law99 Custom User Title

Sky used to have massive lag didn't they? I'd find out 2 things. What you should expect in your area and what you should expect from your ISP.

You can do things like trace route to see where you are getting held up. So if it turns out it is your router, it might help. But then again, it might only do it when it heats up a little from use... what are you using? Maybe look at some reviews of it. If you get held up elsewhere, you are just going to have to google your results and talk to your ISP... various whois lookups and such. Although you get a little info back with icmp other than just addresses, latency and hops

7. atc95

Ok out of game my ping was 22ms and 39ms to various websites. (bit-tech)

In game (bearing in mind this isn't peak time anymore) my ping was 194ms and 182ms in black ops II.

I have no idea how to check packets :(

I am on lan not wireless

But yeh, often I lag and am shooting someone, next thing I know i get the final glimpse of the killcam where they have already killed me :(.

I am on a bt homehub package if that helps which is supposed to be up to 8mb (never goes above 5).
    My area ranges from 2-6mb depending on what people are paying with uploads of 05-1 again depending on what people are paying so 4mb/s is pretty good for my area.

8. ferret141

ferret141 Minimodder

Where are the servers you are trying to connect to?

9. lysaer

lysaer Suck my unit! Kirk lazarus (2008)

Are there other people using your connection in the house?

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk 2

10. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

Disconnect any Wifi related items I.E Phone, iPad etc.
    Have you rebooted your router lately?

Use this site to test your line for packet loss and jitter. http://www.pingtest.net/
    (Make sure you install Java for the test to work properly).

I just ran mine, and it looks like I have a pretty good quality line.
    [​IMG]

11. hamza_tm

hamza_tm Modder

if you are joining specific servers in black ops that could be a problem

However matchmaking should select a low ping server automatically unless there are none.

12. atc95

I have no idea where the servers are but I am just matchmaking so as Hamza said it should automatically pick low ping servers.

I did the pingtest.net test and it gave me 31ms and a jitter of 16ms, could the jitter be the cause of the lag?

After shutting down every internet enabled device in the house it improves, completely normal gameplay with maybe half a second of lag which for my broadband is the best it will be to be honest.

Thanks for all the help so far :)

13. hamza_tm

hamza_tm Modder

Ah, if after shutting down all other internet devices it works better, then at least part of the problem is with your router.

A better router would have a better QoS system in place (Quality of Service, where it allocates bandwidth to bandwidth critical applications on the fly) so it would give online gaming or VoIP priority over (for example) some sequential downloads going on in another device somewhere else.

What router model do you have and what other internet enabled devices are normally connected to it?

14. atc95

The standard bt homehub 2 router, usually there is an ipad, surface, 2 laptops and a few phones connecting and the server (oversized nas drive) which backs up my desktop and the laptops on a daily basis. Turning the server off made the biggest difference so it might be this causing some of the lag.

15. law99

law99 Custom User Title

Yeah... Now that you are saying BT to describe your router, I'd be inclined to say upgrade. Even their business ones are a hamfisted glitchy experience not worth consideration.