Graphics Asus ROG Ares II

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by atc95, 8 Jan 2013.

1. eagle123

eagle123 What's a Dremel?

wonder if it been reviewed? i got a ati 6990 on my pc set up, just wondering whether i slap a corsair h70 and get a watercooler block to cool the 6990, the only advantage i see is the temps,whether that worth the asking price is debatable

2. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

i don't think the 6990 would be cooled well by a H70. they be some power hungry beasts!

3. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Because there is always an outrageous mark-up on them..

In the BFG 8800 GTX days the card was say £480, the block £70, and the pre-installed card was like £650

4. rollo

rollo Modder

pretty much that mankz the markup for pre watercooled is just crazy money. Whilst if you go to the likes of EVGA they will still warranty your card even if you fit the block yourself.

Mind you saying that the closed loop water coolers for GPUs are very expensive as well, Think Watercooling on gpus is still such a niche even in the enthusaist market.

In the end of the day i dout anyone is going to buy this on this forum. Some rich kid will probably buy 2 for quad crossfire.

Back in the land of the real people 2 670s/2 680s / 2 7970ghz are still alot cheap for near enough same performance. you can even buy a 3rd of each card or 4th in the case of the 670 for the same cost.

5. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Its a very niche product for an already niche market, hence why it is what it is.

6. atc95

atc95 I have the upgrade bug!

There are only 1000 being made so they have kind of realised that, it is ridiculously priced however, it does look awesome so if you had the money then why not.

7. law99

law99 Custom User Title

I can imagine that. The person who buys this sort of card is most likely in a pissing contest or is simply of the mindset that spending the most money will give them the best experience; which is lucky for them, as they have more money than sense.

Both these types of people I can imagine no really taking an interest in something such as watercooling. Unless it comes pre-packaged off a website or boutique outlet of some description and requires low maintenance... or indeed a maintenance contract.

There is probably a heap of collectors out there also who'll never use the damn thing.

8. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

....or enjoys gaming at higher settings in eyefinity, or a folder trying to maximise their output, or prefers vsyncable frame rates on high res screens, or enjoys benchmarking, or does gpgpu stuff...

9. Si_the-dude

Si_the-dude Techaholics Anonymous. 0 days clean

It's not my cup of tea looks wise but it's a pretty awesome feat of engineering! Is that 6gb of usable VRAM or is it a couple of 3gb 7970s and some cheeky marketing?

10. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

I don't know any marketing thats not cheeky. As with all dual cards, they tell you it has double what is actually usable on the card. So its essentially a 3GB card.

11. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Yup.

The polarization between here and say, Nvidia forums, is immense. People regularly indulge in 2/3/4-way SLI with full watercooling because they bought 3x27-30" monitors. It's a high-cost hobby, but cheaper than fast cars or planes or other mans-toys.

Everyone here and many tech communities is about price : performance, but relative to their ecosystem and value of money in their economy.

This is why when you read reviews the conclusions are different and review styles should never be the same. There is no one answer, no one demand. Admittedly it took me to leave working here to realize how one dimension any particular site is. (not saying that in a bad way, but just stating people congregate on like-like)

12. atc95

atc95 I have the upgrade bug!

sorry for bringing up the old post but newegg have posted an overview of the card on youtube:

here

13. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Yay they've even got ASUS MX279 monitors in the background :rock::rock: