Build Advice computer freezing

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by eagle123, 12 Jan 2013.

1. eagle123

eagle123 What's a Dremel?

hi there all, my current pc a sandybridge build about aug 2011 is experiencing a few problems,
    The pc has the following components installed

mb gigabyte ud7 z68 b3

cpu intel 2600k unlocked

ram corsair
    8GB DDR3 SDRAM PC3-12800
    Corsair CMX8GX3M2A1600C9
    XMP: 1.65V, Clk: 800.0MHz, Timings 9-9-9-24

operating system window 7 professional

ssd corsair force 3 120gb sata 3 this is the primary used for the operating system

2nd hd western digital caviar black 1 tb sata 3

3rd storage system samsung spinpoint f3 1 tb

Gpu ati 6990

psu corsair ax850

cpu cooler corsair h70

dvd writer pioneer

i ran memtest no problems with memory,
    had the psu tested for any faults no faults found

temp are idling 21c for the cpu and 34c for the entire system

the case is a corsair obsidian 650d

The pc shuts down intermittently, like some one pulled the plug off, no warnings at all no blue screen, also freezes occasionaly, like when i am surfing the net, i have left the display running all the time as before after 15mins the display used to switch off the pc was unresponsive when trying to get out of its sleep.

i have a feeling that its a motherboard issue, as gigabyte motherboards, having visited some forums, some of the users are also experiencing similar issue,

The bios on my motherboard is f10

i also cleared the cmos and run the board as before but i still experience the freeaing issue.

i also checked the cabling inside, the corsair psu doesnt have any labeling to where the wires shoud be plugged in, got the diagram printed out and double checked to make sure everything is correct.

2. Crazy Buddhist

Crazy Buddhist Minimodder

Could be a driver issue (note that memtest doesn't always spot errors though).

Try re-installing MOBO and GPU drivers? I'd try one driver at a time ... GPU first .. if that solves it that's your issue.

Crazy B

3. padrejones2001

padrejones2001 Puppy Love

I'm betting it's either a bad ground or bad RAM and/or bad RAM slots, more likely to be bad RAM, though. If you can, test each stick individually, though if it's a bad RAM slot, that could get really laborious.

4. eagle123

i try and test out the ram should i run the memtest on it ?

5. padrejones2001

Take out all the other RAM sticks and test each one individually by running memtest, yes.

6. eagle123

ran memtest no problems, i look at the other option of bad earth or grounding, how would i know its bad earth??

7. padrejones2001

You tested all of your RAM, stick by stick? As in, only one stick of RAM installed at a time?

8. Somer_Himpson

Somer_Himpson What's a Dremel?

Do you have an Asus sound card installed as they can cause these issues.

If not, I would think it may be the PSU, despite you saying you have had it tested.

9. eagle123

no asus sound card, had memtested on two sticks of ram, took the psu back to the shop to have it tested for faults, they reported no faults as it went on to a burn test, me thinks it either bad earth, i got no blue screens at all, just sudden switch off that all

10. eagle123

update,

turn out to be a nasty trojan having installed malawayes antimalaware, the trojan was residing in the memory area, and also disable internet explorer no execute bit, the pc freezes when surfing the net, so having installed the anti malaware program ran a deepscan found the trojan and zapped it.

i also googled why does my pc freezes when am on internet it took me to a microsoft help site and ran their problem solver,

it enable the no execute which was previously disabled.

so finger crossed no pc freezes, the other update was about my pc shutting down that was down to a loose mains cable i swapped it around so it now fitted on my monitor.

thanks for all the suggestion