Peripherals Need a new mouse

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DLDeadbolt, 7 Feb 2013.

1. DLDeadbolt

DLDeadbolt Space Cadet

I've been using a Roccat Kone V2 for the past 2 years and I quite like it.

HOwever in the first 4months I had to RMA it as the 1st was faulty.
    This 2nd has lasted me some time but the left click has been failing over the past ~year from being able to click at the tip, to the centre until around 3-4months back and now it is barely responsive with the rear button of the left click.

ANyone have any ideas for a fairly robust mouse as I tend to be rather heavy fingered?

2. atc95

atc95 I have the upgrade bug!

A bit more barebone but the steelseries kana is a great mouse (had it for 6 months with no issues and the software is easy to use). I am also quite heavy handed.

3. BennieboyUK

BennieboyUK CPC Folder of the Month Sep 2011

Been using both the RAT 5 and Razer Imperator (Don't ask why I have two and use both!) and they are both solid and really good for the more heavier handed among us!

4. hamza_tm

hamza_tm Modder

Heavy handed eh?

Zowie EC2, EC1, AM spring to mind, very solid mice.

5. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

The Coolermaster sentinel is not bad.

6. rojo

rojo What's a Dremel?

I've only had my EC2 eVo for about a month. So it's early days yet. But the mouse does feel well built and responsive.

I also love the simplicity of the mouse also. No flashy bells and whistles make for a much better mouse in my opinion.

Steelseries make some great mice also. I've been looking at maybe picking up the Sensei Raw myself. The Kana as already mentioned by atc95, is another good choice.

Last edited: 8 Feb 2013
  7. hamza_tm

hamza_tm Modder

Yes, although the SS Xai has a luxurious light click on all its buttons so may not suit a heavy handed user. However the Kana did require more force, at least on the side buttons iirc so is worth a look.

8. SuicideNeil

SuicideNeil What's a Dremel?

Any good at soldering? You might just be able to replace the micro switch ( few £ vs ££ )...

9. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Go to a shop and try them out, rather than going by recommendations.

Having said that, like my M60..

10. hamza_tm

hamza_tm Modder

Looks way more daunting than soldering other stuff.

Opening mice is a pain first off

11. rojo

rojo What's a Dremel?

12. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

Depends on the mouse some, but opening is usually just a matter fo removing the glides then a few screws, Mouse switch are generally Omron or Cherry, both which are electrically compatible with 3 pins. It's a quick and easy job to replace if you are ok with soldering, and it is not delicate work as they use quite large through hole part.
    Otherwise if you don't want to repair and just go new, I would avoid Omron switch mice as they seem to be more delicate than their Cherry counterparts. I can't offer much specifics as I don't really follow new mice. I just keep fixing my MX revolution until Logitech release something that is as good or better.

13. DLDeadbolt

DLDeadbolt Space Cadet

Have any of you seen the Perixx brand of mice (specifically the MX-2000).

They seem to be pretty decent for the price, just wondering if anyone has had a handson test with one before.

14. hamza_tm

hamza_tm Modder

Not tried the Perixx mice myself, but from first glance they have the right hardware in there, but the shell looks like cheaply made plastic. If you aren't into fine build quality then looks decent enough to me.

That's the problem, tried that with a Zowie I had and the goddamn screws had some crazy rare star shaped head that I could not find a screwdriver to fit even after ordering a ridiculously equipped 80-bit set off ebay!

15. DLDeadbolt

DLDeadbolt Space Cadet

Whelp

ASked around elsewehere, and in my hunt came across the Perixx MX-2000.

Gonna give it a try, if its not up to scratch I'll return it and go for a G500 or something (was liking the G700, but its wireless >.> )

16. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

+1 for Zowie mice, depending on your hand size/grip either the EC1/2 or AM :)

17. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

I take the easy route and get Logitech mice. if it breaks in 2 years I send it in and get a new one back. Love Logitech guarantee!