1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CPU Where to go from 2600K?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dynamis_dk, 10 Mar 2013.

1. dynamis_dk

dynamis_dk Grr... Grumpy!!

So Dad has expressed an interest in upgrading from his existing i3 setup so I've been looking around at what is available for him. Think I'm looking mainly towards something around 2600 area. His main workload is for Photoshop use and he won't be overclocking.

I'm considering the option of selling my 2600K to him and maybe upgrading myself... Whats out there for a P67 board in the way of 1155? I guess 2700K isn't worth it but are there other options?

2. aNuclearPidgeon

aNuclearPidgeon Minimodder

Theres the Ivybridge i5 3570K and the i7 3770K. Both unlocked. i7 has hyperthreading. Beware though; you need to updade your P67 motherboards BIOS so it accepts Ivybridge chips.

3. suragh

suragh Derp

I doubt you will gain much from using an IB processor on a p67 board.

I would personally wait for the Haswell range to hit the market and upgrade both the motherboard and CPU. I can't find a definite date for when they will be released but its expected this year. (Correct me if I am wrong)

Last edited: 10 Mar 2013
  4. meandmymouth

meandmymouth Multimodder

The only upgrade path from a 2600K is to change platform and go 2011, but that will be expensive and pointless unless you can use the extra cores.

5. atc95

atc95 I have the upgrade bug!

Wait for haswell and then get a 3770k cheaper or the haswell equivalent with a new board, depending on how big the performance benefit of haswell is!

6. dynamis_dk

dynamis_dk Grr... Grumpy!!

Mah! Sounds like I'll stick with the 2600K/P67 setup for now. Does everything I need perfectly well and clocks well If I need a quick boost for anything specific. I'll keep an eye out for some bits for Dad rather than upgrading mine first :)

Cheers for the prompt advice guys

7. dead beat

dead beat Rippin six 4 life

Even when Haswell comes out, there will be little point in upgrading if you're just using the system for gaming.