1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice HTPC build Need help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by flame696, 27 Mar 2013.

1. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

Cool, I like that - MyMovies! :D

Anything with more than one option, can make my Missus scratch her head! - Now she is very clever, and has a lot of knowledge. But common sense is some what lacking. Bless her.

Now, some of the things she comes out with, would make anyone with just an ounce of common sense, raise a eyebrow, and think "Are you serious?"

Pretty much every other day, I'm in stitches, with what she comes out with. So as you can imagine, everything has to be as simple as one click or a push of a button - If that doesn't work - In her mind, everything is broken!

A good example of this - If I'm installing updates etc, or updating a program - she will question why I'm doing that, and it usually ends up, that I have broken it - Or I don't know what i'm doing, as I always update my PC. :D

2. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

MyMovies is brilliant, trust me. Flame - it's worth giving it a go if you're building an uber HTPC!

3. flame696

flame696 Terminating People Since 1980....

Hmm I was going to use XMBC what makes MyMovies stand out?

@Simon - my missus is the same, I installed a plastic venetian blind today in the downstairs shower room as if your looking in from outside you can see everything and she comes out with why is it covering the whole window can it not cover the top half as it will get wet when we use the basin. What's the point of installing it then!!!!!!!!!! :wallbash::wallbash:

Last edited: 2 Apr 2013
  4. jinq-sea

I just really like MyMovies as a system - works wonderfully with TV shows, integrates with TMT5 for blu-rays, allows playback of full DVDs stored on a hard drive (so the OH doesn't have to look at piles of DVD and BD boxes), and more importantly, it's nice to look at and really easy to use.

I host all of the server side bits on my server, so more than one HTPC in the house can connect to it, and they're without moving HDDs so they're QUIET! :lol:

5. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

I've gotten used to xbmc but I'll have to give MyMovies a look! When you say it allows playback of full dvds, do you mean they are stored as folders, e.g. [dvd name] then with the subsequent audio_ts and video_ts folders? I.e. just backed up, not encoded?

6. jinq-sea

Yup, just backed up, not encoded. It'll mount ISOs, too, but this only really works properly for Blu-rays.

DVDs can be ripped to /drive/folder name/VIDEO_TS and ../AUDIO_TS. It's brilliant. Plus, you can make it start the DVD and skip the menus, going straight to the main feature.

It supports TV series on DVD in the same way too, allowing playback of single eps.

7. NigelT

NigelT What's a Dremel?

I trialed mymovies using the free 2500pts for 30 days and it's nice to use, but imo it's not a patch on XBMC. When XBMC is setup it looks beautiful and the menus are silky smooth. When using a remote it's even girlfriend/wife proof.

I can also recommend a harmony remote to ease the other halfs moaning over having 4 different remotes.

8. jinq-sea

I find that the metadata in XBMC is rubbish in comparison, plus there's no TV support in XBMC (as yet), and I use DVBLink.

Definitely agree on the Harmony remote though :thumb:

9. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

XBMC-PVR branch of Eden was there for year or more, and PVR is integral part of XBMC 12 released 2 months ago :
    http://xbmc.org/natethomas/2013/01/29/xbmc-12-0-frodo/

Of course, it is only a frontend, which is the best option for them in my opinion. Doing a crossplatform PVR backend would be a multi-year task with no real benefits.

10. jinq-sea

Ah! Turns out I'm somewhat out of date. Thanks!

Still - I'm a big fan of DVBLink in MCE :)