English Football

Discussion in 'Serious' started by Kovoet, 14 Apr 2013.

1. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

What the hell is going on this weekend. What an advert for English football. Thank god I stick to watching rugby.

2. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

I fixed it for you. Unfortunately, it's just an example of tribal dynamics and the human condition. Football, religion, Mac vs PC - people like to fight about stuff. An interesting experiment would have been for someone to jump in the middle of the fight and yell, "Oh my God, there are some foreigners over there stealing some jobs!" Watch how many people brawling over football clubs suddenly join together to defend mother country.

3. bodkin

bodkin Overheating

I am with Kovoet here, football in the Uk seems to be particularly awful.

Just look on any F1 or rugby forum and you will see people having massive verbal fights, but when you get to the stadium or track they all mix and have a good time. At a rugby match for example fans sit together and very little happens. If you were to put United and City fans together god knows what would happen!

4. Pieface

Pieface Modder

Don't look into Italian football if you think the UK seems particularly awful.

5. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

The internet abounds with examples of fan violence in pretty much every sport. The phenomena goes beyond which sport has the worst fans - indeed, it transcends sport altogether. Regardless of what you may think about English football, just don't dare suggest that William Charles Macready can do Shakespeare than Edwin Forrest.

It really has little to do with the sport itself. As with religion or anything else, football club affiliation is the veneer covering typical group dynamics.

6. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

Oh boy! That!

Still always have been a big Juventus fan though. :D

7. G0UDG

G0UDG helping others costs nothing

English football isn't as bad as it was in the 70's it's biggest problem is the racism within it and the teams not condeming it ie: Liverpool Fc who still haven't accepted the FA ruling on Luis Saurez,the violece at the Swindon match is no less despicable and brings the game into disrepute

Teelzebub likes this.
  8. Pieface

Pieface Modder

Was the 80s really where it was bad. Heysel being the most disgraceful and embarrassing incident of the lot, which sadly is mostly forgotten about due to Hillsborough.

9. Blazza181

Blazza181 SVM PLACENTA CASEI

Heard you can buy several shirts from their store now. GK kit, outfield kit and refereeing kit :p

10. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

I like watching football, but I can enjoy it reasonably dispassionately. I get caught up in the thrills and spills of a match, but my emotional attachment ends at the final whistle.

Of course I can discuss the merits of a match or debate a penalty decision after the fact, along with the usual references to the quality of the referee's eyesight and assumptions about his illegitimacy ;) ; but I just can't get worked up about it the way some people do.

11. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

You never get fisty-cuffs in motorsport!

/Gentlemen

G0UDG likes this.
  12. Porkins' Wingman

Porkins' Wingman Can't touch this

From 45 seconds on says otherwise, Bindi.

13. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

Gotta love those guys. Nothing quite as ineffective as punching a crash helmet.

In other news, football does nothing for me.

14. law99

law99 Custom User Title

Truth.

The only possible argument I can see for Football and violence is that, some, people have it so ingrained with fighting in their mind, that they go just for that and not the football.

If you fancied yourself in a fight for instance and had no respect for the law, you'll believe you can find like minded people at such an event.

I'd bet that if you could some how propagate the myth that sewing clubs were filled with "hard cases" looking to test their metal, I'm sure you would find people there, just for that, with only blunt instruments of war; not the sharp, methodical stitching variety.

15. eddie543

eddie543 Snake eyes

Sat in a pub for the 6-1 in the minority of city fans and it was packed, no trouble. In the UK it isn't that bad, just a bit behind the Germans really. Go elsewhere and you see much worse, Poland for example or Italy. I'm a City season ticket holder and I have never caused or had trouble. I have seen some on derby day but that is the stupidity of letting a bunch of drunk united fans out at the same time as a bunch of drunk city fans when the fans that will do that exit right next to each other. There is the odd one or two problems between fans of premier league clubs but those that cause it are in the tiny minority and they aren't going to Wembley...

16. walle

walle Minimodder

Yeah English football can be quiet aggressive at times. It's a cultural thing, the English are aggressive. Not to offend our English board members, there are others who are aggressive too, also, sports do tend to put fuel on the fire so to speak.

Last edited: 16 Apr 2013
  17. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

A top 10 that includes throwing gloves at a car and having mean words! ;) Plus, half of them are US events about going round in circles :p It would drive me mad as well!

In none of those the spectators riot and go nuts though! ;)

18. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

That coming from an American is quite funny!

19. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

First thing in the morning, put this on, assume my amp is broken due to no sound from the right speaker. Listened to music, order is restored.

20. Tynecider

Tynecider Since ZX81

Lots of young 'uns getting riled up and wishing they had lived in the 80's "cos it was proper mint"
    Lots of old ones trying to act like their former selves.

Sad really.