PSU PSU - Backwards compatible?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by 3Dbuild, 15 Apr 2013.

1. 3Dbuild

3Dbuild Minimodder

Hi,

Please can you tell me if a Corsair CX500-80 plus (non modular / 500w) PSU will work in my very old PC, or even the 430w version please?

The reason I ask is that on the Corsair website it mentions the following about backwards compatibility. But after looking on the internet I have no idea if this PSU will be ok in my PC and want to make sure that it will be ok and not damage any parts:

Corsair CX500 / CX430 (non-modular version):

Supports the latest ATX12V v2.3 standard and is backward compatible with ATX12V 2.2 and ATX12V 2.01 systems

The Corsair PSU is the same size as my current PSU and I think it has all the leads I need (see spec below).

My old PC has been stood around for ages and so I thought it would be fine for my children to use for homework and games. I have upgraded it as far as it will go and the only thing left is the factory installed PSU, which is now worrying me and I think I should change it because of the graphics card upgrade;

I have installed an EVGA Geforce 6200 512mb AGP8x graphics card, which requires a minimum PSU of 300w. I am running on a 250w PSU and my motherboard supports AGP2x/4x. The EVGA is running at AGP4x, at about 47 degrees and so far has been fine for normal PC use. But when playing Sims 3 it gets very hot (haven't measured the temperature for this) and it has crashed once. This game is the reason for all the upgrades!

The PC spec:

Model: Packard Bell Imedia 5093
    CPU: Intel Pentium P4, 2.53 GHz
    Motherboard: Columbia 2
    RAM: 1GB (upgrade)
    Graphics: EVGA Geforce 6200 512mb AGP8x (upgrade)

PSU: 250w (also has a speaker jack on the back)

FSP Group
    Model No: FSP250-60PNA (PF)
    AC Input: 115/230v~,6/3A,60/50Hz (on the sticker)

The power leads used in my PC from the PSU:

DVD: 4 pin
    CDR: 4pin
    HDD: 4 pin
    Floppy: 4 pin

Motherboard (separate leads = 20 pin + 4 pin):

ATX 20 pin
    12v ATX 4 pin (next to CPU)

Thank you

2. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

Yes current psu will work fine on any ATX motherboard, it will simply have some extra connections that won't be used like the additional 4 pins on the main power connector on an older motherboard. Most have 20+4pin so you can unclip it in case capacitor or something is right next to the power connector. Same goes for 8pin EPS connector, only 4 will be needed.

3. B1GBUD

B1GBUD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Accidentally Funny

Some of the old P4 motherboards only have 20pin atx so as long as you can split your 20+4 it should be fine as Ivan says above.

4. 3Dbuild

3Dbuild Minimodder

Hi,

Thank you for confirming that for me.

Yes, i need a 20pin and 4pin atx

I think my local PC World stocks them, so i can pick one up on the way home on Friday.

Cheers!

5. 3Dbuild

3Dbuild Minimodder

Quick question:

Is the 8-pin +12v (EPS12V) Corsair cable, the one that i need to split to a 4pin for my 12v ATX 4 pin (next to CPU)?

Thank you

6. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

If there's nothing immediately next to the socket you can just plug it in even if it doesn't split, only the correct 4 pins will fit anyway ;)

7. 3Dbuild

3Dbuild Minimodder

Thank you

8. 3Dbuild

3Dbuild Minimodder

Hi,

I fitted the PSU this weekend, had the PC running for several hours and everything seems fine so far. The Sims 3 game didn't crash this time and HW Monitor reported the card was at 67c after playing. But after playing my old Star Wars Battlefront it did get hot at about 80c, i was a bit surprised as i thought Sims 3 would be hotter?

I did however have a right old struggle getting the daisy chained power leads to reach my hardware, all because the floppy disc lead was attached to this chain. They were quite short and it made life difficult to make them reach.

Also my old PSU had an additional top mounting rail that screwed into the PSU and then slotted into the case frame. The Corasair did not have screw holes for this fitting, so I could only mount it to the case with the 4 screws at the switch side. Thus its only held in place at its back and top mounted, slightly worried that it would not be able to support its own weight this way. But it seems ok, it's not moving and is fitted quite tight - hope this is ok?

Thanks for your help.

9. Darkwisdom

Darkwisdom Level 99 Retro Nerd

The PSU wouldn't have any affect on temperatures on your card; that'd be a different problem entirely. Either an old card at the end of its life or the airflow in your case is bad.

I have the CX600 by Corsair and i found this same problem seeing as i have a PSU top mount on my case. I've never had a problem; should be absolutely fine.

10. 3Dbuild

3Dbuild Minimodder

Thanks Darkwisdom

The Graphics card is a factory refurb by EVGA and bought from a online UK PC shop (not sure if i am allowed to say the name?). So, basically its as "new" - or so EVGA and the shop are stating!

Im not sure if the temps of the card I have are normal, but its running at the moment with one side of the case off. So i supsect when i put the side back on that it could get much hotter. Its a old Packard Bell PC, so case cooling, fans and vents holes are at a minimum. Its basically a closed box! There are quite a few vent holes in the back of the case that will help a little with cooling.

11. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

The graphics card is passive, its designed to run hot.

Stick a fan over it if you have any concerns.