1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors What do you drive? - The Photo Gallery

Discussion in 'General' started by :: Phat ::, 28 Jul 2003.

1. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

Missed this earlier - I'm going to get someone round to have a look at my old (Natalie's new) 1er - it's been 2 years since its last detail and it shares its colour with your TT - the bodywork along the sills and the lower half of the doors is particularly grimy, and some relatively careless washing (I know better now) has left some moderate swirling. While the man (or woman?) is around to sort the 1er I'll get them to have a look over the 7er and provide some recommendations and quotes.

Any recommendations in the midlands by any chance? I've not started calling around, but from simply webbing I've come to the conclusion that this chap is someone I'd want to go for - seems competent (though I'm going on only the site) and it's relatively well priced, without being suspiciously cheap.

I would have thought 19s would be ok on a 6er - what profile/section? The 7 has 245/45 and 275/40, so there's still a fair bit of rubber there, I expected the arches on the 6 would be of a similar proportion, as it's by no means a small car either. The new 6er comes with 19s as standard IIRC.

Last edited: 30 Apr 2013
  2. julianmartin

julianmartin resident cyborg.

It's 245/35 and 275/45, IIRC. The E63/4 is known to have a pretty jarring ride, god knows why. I switched from run flats to normal and it's improved it marginally but not by the difference I was expecting or hoping for. But the 6 is more similar to the 5 than the 7 in terms of chassis etc. I've always assumed it's just the sporty ride - I've read performance spring kits can improve it significantly but never had the chance to look at it more seriously. Now I think about it, it's unacceptably bad so maybe there is more to it.

3. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Chances are it's as Munich intended it to be - I seem to remember the reviews at release saying it was too stiff and jiggly.

Ugh. Can we not just enjoy the sonorous straight-6 power without resorting to "Herp derp, diesel is better y0." Most of the time it is a very competent combo, but it's not the be-all of motoring.

4. Tim S

Tim S OG

There's a list of very good detailers over here: http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=40246

My detailer is near Flitwick (J13 of the M1 http://www.unique-detail.co.uk/) - I came across him via a recommendation in the TTOC, rather than via the Detailing World thread... but I've got friends who use Valet Magic and can't recommend them highly enough, so in the south east they'd be my second choice.

The Aston Martin Vanquish full correction detail looks epic on Beau Technique's site though, so I don't think you will go far wrong with him. I'd say the best thing to do is look for recommendations - you can't go far wrong with a good recommendation - but equally, there is a cost of doing business and the materials aren't cheap, so you've got to ask whether they're able to run a proper biz at the price they're charging. Anything less than about £150 quid a day for a small car is erring on the cheap side if you want a good job - a bigger car like your waft-mobile will require a longer amount of time to complete, so prices will go up.

FYI, I had quite a bit of orange peel on my car and it required a two-day job as the paintwork was fairly shoddy... it ended up costing me somewhere in the region of £420. The TTS is classed as a small car in his eyes.

5. BennieboyUK

BennieboyUK CPC Folder of the Month Sep 2011

Sorry Krikkit, I retract my opinion, no more resorting to herp derp and all that ****, yo.

- the cheek. :sigh:

julianmartin likes this.
  6. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

I have to say, having sat in the passenger seat of my housemate's Rover 75 on the long drive up to and back from uni, I can see the appeal of a "big" turbo diesel in a comfort barge.

7. Krikkit

Sorry Bennie, that was a bit strong, apologies.

It gets trotted out so often, eventually it gets to me. :p

For the record, diesel has its place - it suits a wafty barge as long as the NVH is kept at bay, and an eco hatch, but not a sporty car imo - it's about more than just the performance, it's the nature and feel of the power delivery along with the noise that makes a difference.

8. Mister_Tad

There are a few diesels getting it right for noise these days IMO, but they're few and far between. I came across an A5 3.0d not long ago and it had a lovely growl (but the wheels were still too big...).

I think a diesel can live in a sporty car, so long as being sporty isn't it's primary intention - like a GT (which IMO a diesel's torque curve suits it just as well, though you're never going to get the same how to the limiter, clearly). I'd never consider it in something like track-biased hatch (not that most Astra VXRs ever see a track, mind), or a "proper" sports car.

9. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=302579 That's a thread about a mates RS that he had detailed at midlands car care.

Looks beautiful imo, Junction 9 Wednesbury or there abouts.

Not sure where he is, but http://www.griffithsdetailing.com/index.html he does some sterling work too. I think he's more south than Midlands though.

Last edited: 1 May 2013
  10. FuzzyOne

FuzzyOne

11. liratheal

[​IMG]

Not really driving like that, but.. Essential work being done! Knackered coolant hoses being replaced.

And standard headlights being put back in, because RS headlights just.. Work.

12. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

What lamps did it have before? Also is this the first time the RS has been posted in here? I remember the ST170, but not the RS

13. liratheal

I think I've posted about it before, but I might not have!

It had some shitass ebay special angel eye things, no level adjustment, about as useful as a chocolate fire guard at night.

14. Mister_Tad

Spent ages today washing both cars... the 7er is a lot of car to wash, and those wheels, what a pain!

Picture overload...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Krikkit

That interior is a great combo. The only thing that spoils it is that weird gear lever - Jaguar nailed it with the XF's rotary jobby imo.

16. julianmartin

julianmartin resident cyborg.

I basically want a 7er now.

17. Mister_Tad

Ta - I'm incredibly pleased with it. To me, it feels bespoke, despite being all catalogue options. At least it's not the standard black on black or white on black that seems to be the norm.

I didn't get on with the gear selector in the XJ. It's clever when you're not in the driver's seat, and it looks great, but not operable without looking at it, making it a pain to park and there's just too much fiddling before you set out. I'm sure it would come with practice, but the stick just works (and the sculpted satin aluminium is just luuuurvely). Hop in, engine on, pull back and go. And mastering the 7-point turn (a necessity in a 16ft car) has never been easier - trying the same in the XJ, not so.

The added bonus is I can knock it to the left and pretend I'm a rally driver with a sequential box (though I'm not sure I ever would in reality, and just use the paddles, but the option is there)

Do it! Just imagine the hardship of waking up in the morning and having to decide between the 6er or the 7er - that would be quite the fleet!

Last edited: 5 May 2013
  18. Mister_Tad

Since the sun is out in full force today, managed to get a decent pic of the colour. I'm unbelievably pleased with it, definitely worth it over the carbon black (which is a bit more blue in the shade, but doesn't sparkle like this in the sun). I might have to move to a place where the sun shines more than 6 days out of the year...

Still don't get the full effect in a photo, as when you walk around the car and catch different angles, the blue pops out and then disappears again, before popping out in another place etc... if that makes any sense at all

[​IMG]

I'm done with the pic dump now, promise. At least for this weekend... :worried: I'm clearly still in the OMG NEW TOY phase.

Last edited: 6 May 2013
  19. Krikkit

It's a fantastic colour - my Dad's XF is a similar idea, but purple/black. Unfortunately it's a touch too subtle so you rarely see it as anything other than black, a bit disappointing really!

Shiny toys are always pic-worthy, keep 'em coming if you like! :D

20. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

No floor mats?!?! What about all the muddy feet that could go in your car and ruin the carpets! :eeek:

I'm very anal about keeping my car's carpets clean, even on an ancient Polo like mine. :hehe: