Storage Is a SATA III OCZ Agility 3 compatible with SATA I?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by lancer778544, 9 May 2013.

1. lancer778544

lancer778544 Multimodder

Hi guys,

Quick question before I commit to buying dynamis_dk's Agility 3. Would it be compatible with my Philips Freevents X55 (Twinhead H12Y)? I believe it only has a SATA I bus due to the Intel 945GM chipset.

I know its overkill to the max but I haven't had any other offers. Googling isnt helping much at the moment and OCZ's datasheet only mentions backward compatibility with SATA II, no mention of SATA I.

2. chris182

chris182 What's a Dremel?

It will work. It will just be very bottle necked.

3. lancer778544

lancer778544 Multimodder

Oh I know, but almost anything is gonna be better than the hard drive that's in there now and I can always move it from laptop to laptop if I upgrade.

4. chris182

chris182 What's a Dremel?

Yeah, expect to see somewhere in the region of about half performance, but like you said, it will definitely be better than a HDD and can easily be moved to a new machine!

5. PocketDemon

PocketDemon Modder

Unless something has dramatically changed that i'm unaware of, i really wouldn't look at using any 6Gb/s SF SSD on a 1.5Gb/s SATA connection (esp on a laptop) as there certainly were major issues with them that were completely unrelated to the main SF issues (which have now been resolved) that people had back in the day.

That's certainly not to say that you can't use a 6Gb/s SSD, just that, imho, you'll be much safer looking at one that uses a different controller.

lancer778544 likes this.
  6. lancer778544

lancer778544 Multimodder

Well I've bought it now so if there are any problems, then I'll just have to find it a different home. I would have preferred an older SSD instead of wasting a SATA III one on it but that was all I was offered so I decided to take it.

7. PocketDemon

PocketDemon Modder

it's not a waste to use a 6Gb/s SSD at all, as the small r/ws have improved since the 3Gb/s ones - so you'll should still see some gain.

Anyway, i do hope that you're lucky with it - i'm only going on what was reported on the OCZ forum in situations like yours & that their response had been to specifically recommend people used a 6Gb/s drive with an alt controller.