1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Photos Wrist Watches - show us yours!

Discussion in 'General' started by ComputerKing, 31 Jul 2008.

?

Watch Types?

1. Analog Hand Watch

222 vote(s)
    60.3%
  2. Digital Hand Watch

42 vote(s)
    11.4%
  3. Digital + Analog

31 vote(s)
    8.4%
  4. don't wear one

73 vote(s)
    19.8%
  1. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

My dad owns a few and he loves them. One of the things I like is the attached screw on cover that screws over the crown to stop it getting dirty. That's a really nice feature, especially on such a large watch.

2. PabloFunky

PabloFunky What's a Dremel?

Titan gfx card on hold, got this instead, couldnt resist. £500 for a watch, but hey ho

This adds to my Skyhawk at blue angels.

Promaster carbon, cleaner look than the skyhawk and the carbon fiber works quite well.

eco ones dont compare to my Seiko kinetics, but its ok tech.

[​IMG]

arty farty pics can obviously be googled, but above is a real pic in poor lighting etc.

3. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

[​IMG]
    Rolex Submariner 1680 by angad84, on Flickr

Just remembered I hadn't posted any pics of my post-service Submariner, so here it is. The box it is resting against is from the first time it was serviced, some 20 years ago, and they're all sitting on the service brochure from last month. The red dial is out for safekeeping and also because I want working lume. In any case, the watch is missing many of the original parts (changed during the previous service), so it's not as valuable as a mint Red Sub anyway.

4. KidMod-Southpaw

Oh lawd that's a wonder. The creamy lume on the red sub dial is marvelous, even if it doesn't work!

5. asura

asura jack of all trades

And now for a rather less glamorous Japanese watch obvously copied inspired by the above - but it's on the #2 strap... must work on my cross stitch...

[​IMG]

6. KidMod-Southpaw

God damn that looks cool! If I ever order that bronze PAM homage, I want something like that making for me! :D

7. stonedsurd

Which PAM homage? The Magrette?

8. pyro1son

pyro1son Linux User!

This is mine. Got it for my 21st birthday
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. KidMod-Southpaw

I'm still in the thinking stage on that. There's a Magrette for sale on TZUK which I'm very tempted by. However, my main intention has always been to go Chinese with something like this and get a Getat homage due to the custom strap and lume options, bearing in mind I may well use a larger portion of funds to pick up a SMP or OD in the summer, depending on what comes up in Manchester. :D

lp rob1 likes this.
  10. stonedsurd

I'd steer clear of homages, TBH. You may end up with a solid collection a few years from now and look back in embarrassment.

The Magrette is NOT a homage, btw, it's a genuinely nice watch with styling nods to many watches. The homage tip was just a general suggestions.

11. KidMod-Southpaw

Indeed, they're all good thinking points. I'd just love if I was able to get a Magrette with a dial as uncluttered as what I could get from making a homage with Getat. Of course, general quality will always steer me towards Magrette.

12. KidMod-Southpaw

Well, I'm just getting payment details to buy the bronze Magrette. Can't wait!
    Strap shopping will be fun again!

Speaking of straps, I'm still trying to find an 18mm NATO like this for my Seagull 1963 but I've found nothing so far. Can anyone help please?
    Edit: I just found it at J Press! Now I need a US proxy to reduce the shipping cost!
    http://www.jpressonline.com/burgundy-white/

[​IMG]

Last edited: 28 May 2013
  13. stonedsurd

That is a sweet NATO. I must say, I prefer the 1963 on a cognac leather strap as opposed to fabric, but I wouldn't say no to that. The red and white really complements the colours on the face.

14. KidMod-Southpaw

Thanks! My OCD states that I must have 1 thing on a bracelet, 1 thing on mesh, 1 thing on leather and 1 thing on NATO. :D
    My Skagen is on mesh, I need something on a bracelet, and my Magrette (which I just paid for this morning- can't wait!) will be on leather. Up until wanting to get the magrette, I've had my 1963 on a cognac alligator strap. As great as it looked, I really felt like I wanted to go back to NATO. As the stock NATO wasn't that great, I need to spring for this without paying what will be about $100 total S&H on a $25 strap!

15. stonedsurd

Hah! I'm exactly the same. Currently rolling the Maratac on NATO, HMT Pilot on black leather, 1963 on a cheap cognac strap, Submariner on Oyster. I can't stand the look of mesh straps, so they're ruled out.

Right now, I'm in a bit of a greedy quandary. I should take all my disposable cash and buy something camera related with it, seeing as investing in my profession is considered the smart thing to do. But I'm kinda leaning toward another major watch purchase - either the Nomos Orion (basic 35mm version) or the Tudor Heritage Black Bay.

If Canon gets their act together and puts out a new 100-400mm lens or 7D Mk2 by August, my decision will be made for me - buy photo gear.

If they don't, however, I will have a tough time deciding between the two watches. My collection lacks a dressy watch but I borrow the old man's when I need to. I already have a diver (a pretty damned iconic one at that) but the Tudor just gets me hard in ways no other watch (in that price range) does. What do?

16. KidMod-Southpaw

Tough, eh? The Black Bay is just a stunning piece. However, while you already have something for diving, you may be better getting an old Air King or Oysterdate for a dress watch. Especially because both of them would be cheaper than the Black Bay, so the hole left for camera equipment wouldn't be as empty. :p

Also, the Magrette just shipped out- it'll be here tomorrow morning! W00P!

17. stonedsurd

I don't want to get a watch that my dad already has, so old Air Kings, Oysterdates, Datejusts, Seamasters, Constellations et al are out of the picture. If he didn't already have such an extensive collection of vintage dress pieces, I would definitely consider buying used.

But in the interest of owning something different and also staying at/around $3000, I'm kinda stuck on the Orion. That blue+gold is stunning.

18. KidMod-Southpaw

Ah, ok! What about a blue and gold bi- metal sub? :p

I kid. You've certainly got a lot of options open for 3 grand but I can't actually think of any other brands to suggest! You've got pretty much what most consider to be the best diver money can buy, a few very nice pilot watches and can easily borrow some wonderful dress watches. What gap is left? :)

Edit: Perhaps you lack something sporty! Would a Speedmaster be up your street at all? If not, I guess some JLC offerings could be nice, but I think they'd be too dressy.

Last edited: 29 May 2013
  19. stonedsurd

I hate blingy subs. Even the GMT tends to rub me ever so slightly the wrong way (although the new cerachrom blue-black GMT is a stunner).

I'm just going to keep investing and saving until August. If Canon doesn't drop new equipment by the time MAKS13 rolls around, I'll probably plump for the Orion. I think diversity wins in favour of yet another tool/sport watch.

20. KidMod-Southpaw

Agreed, I love the new GMT! The rest of their Basel 2013 offerings on the other hand...

And yes, I've no idea why I'm trying to get you to spring for another watch. I should be making you put the money in to your profession! :D