1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Planning 28L of mATX, SLI, 480 rad awesome... in theory

Discussion in 'Modding' started by BBEG, 27 May 2013.

1. BBEG

BBEG What's a Dremel?

Hey guys.

Quick background: I've been trying to design an mATX case that is as small as reasonably possible, fits two graphics cards, fits enough cooling to OC the CPU and said graphics cards, and is aesthetically pleasing. The more sketches I drew up, the more I shot down because they felt like compromises more than successes.

Yesterday, I found this by the guys at Parvum Systems:

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Inverted ATX... huh... I'd originally passed the idea up because... well, honestly because I assumed my computer case would always be to my right, facing a specific direction. Stop laughing, it made sense at 4am.

Here're three quick sketches of what I had in mind. Close to scale. Internal dimensions should be just around 350mm (H) x 200mm (W) x 400mm (D). If things go according to plan, that's 28L even. Prodigy territory. :naughty:

Side
    [​IMG]

Top down
    [​IMG]

Rear
    [​IMG]

The gear:

• Asus Maximus V Gene w/ 2600k (have)
    • 2x GTX 680s w/ Heatkiller block & backplate (en route ish)
    • Seasonic X850 Gold or SS-860 Platinum (en route sorta / RMA)
    • Alphacool ST30 240 rad w/ 2x undetermined fans [Bottom]
    • Alphacool UT60/XT45/ST30 240 rad w/ 2x undetermined fans [Front]
    • Misc. Bitspower fittings (90 degree on the outside GPU to not bump the case wall/window)
    • Flexible riser cable for GPUs
    • Swiftech 35X pump w/ res or Swiftech Apogee Drive II and a res stays in the same spot

The case would be modeled after the Parvum S1.0, only reversed due to the inverted mobo. 2-layer acrylic, black facing out and red beneath it. Undecided on the PSU sleeving scheme.

Thoughts? Criticisms? Ideas? Worth trying to learn Sketchup or CAD to render in prettier ways?

Last edited: 1 Jun 2013
  2. MODZERO

MODZERO Minimodder

The Parvum guys are great blokes, I'd get in touch with them and ask about having a custom one off Parvum S1.0 built to your requirements. They had a bunch of customs at i48 each with different case lengths, widths and I took be wrong but I'm almost certain one of them had the mobo mounted in a traditional fashion.

J.

3. BBEG

BBEG What's a Dremel?

That's awesome news. I sent them an email at about the same time I made the OP just to cover bases, so it's good to hear I'm on the right track.

Any special concerns about component layout?

4. imersa

imersa Parvum Princess

No concerns here :D, have also replied to your email now.

5. BBEG

BBEG What's a Dremel?

Looks like we got us a project under way. :rock:

Stay tuned. Hopefully I can sweet talk Justin to take lots of pics. :naughty:

(Of the case of course...)

6. imersa

imersa Parvum Princess

Haha I can post plenty of photos of me here.... but perhaps we wait and ill get some of the progress :D

7. BBEG

BBEG What's a Dremel?

So, I got a care package yesterday full of win.

[​IMG]

Problem: these things are over 3 lbs each. I'm concerned about how well they can support their own weight via the video out side of the card and I'm now about positive I'll have to come up with some type of bracket to carry the 6.5 lbs of GPU + water block + backplate. The trouble is doing so cleanly.

Gonna have to think on this one. :blah: