1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware EK Supremacy PreciseMount for delidded Ivy Bridge CPUs Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Meanmotion, 8 Jun 2013.

1. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Big temperature drop but also a big drop by Intel for letting the QC go AWOL forcing enthusiasts to void there warranties if they want a cooler running CPU.

I think Intel should be offering to have the effected CPU's fixed because if people try to de-lid & break it they are screwed, there must be some who have broke there CPU trying to do this. :(

2. John_T

John_T Minimodder

Have to agree with that. You'd expect a few degrees drop in temp by enthusiasts de-lidding and changing the contact method, but fourteen degrees? Fourteen? That's outrageous!

It's like a few years back in the GPU industry, you spend a couple of hundred quid on the latest GPU - but then the thing seemed to be cooled by a 99p heatsink and fan. The mind boggles.

3. Chris_Waddle

Chris_Waddle Loving my new digital pinball machine

I was so tempted to get this system when I saw it a month or so ago. The thing was, my de-lidded system was already running 20degs lower under load. I'd already knackered one 3770k when de-lidding, so I wasn't going to risk another if it didn't work as well as the claiims.

If I was only just about to de-lid then I think I would give these a try. I don't really need another temp drop, but for £4, I'd use them.

4. DystopianDream

DystopianDream What's a Dremel?

FYI the temperature drop due to de-lidding, or put it another way, the poor temps before delidding, have very little to do with

This thread and specifically this post show that the main reason why delidding works is due to greatly reducing the gap between the CPU and the heat spreader. The Intel TIM itself is fine.

and from this post where he discusses no heat-spreader

If anyone is considering de-lidding or wants to find out more, that thread is the best resource I have found, Idontcare had explored the topic exhaustively

Last edited: 10 Jun 2013
  5. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

Some very interesting testing there!

6. Stanley Tweedle

Stanley Tweedle NO VR NO PLAY

Which basically equates to: Intel should redesign the package to get rid of the IHS. Have a top cover that doesn't cover the cpu die but fits around it and is level with it to help reduce chances of crushing. When intel release a K cpu it is with the knowledge that it will be overclocked. Fitting a metal cap over it to reduce cooling efficiency is therefore utterly stupid.

7. siliconfanatic

siliconfanatic Johny-come-Lately

^this guy^
    Seriously Intel is more than capable of improving the IHS. Flatter surfaces and an inner surface closer to the cores comes to mind. That and non-'tarded TIM application.

8. Stanley Tweedle

Stanley Tweedle NO VR NO PLAY

It seems odd that they spend time developing and bragging about 3d transistors and yet they don't bother to optimise the outer design. What's up with that? Perhaps someone needs to send them one of their own Haswell CPU's with lid removed together with full load temperature printout.

Or... to drive the point home...

A bunch of people buy Haswell CPU's D-Lid them and we send Intel a box full of lids with a load temp printout?

Tags: Add Tags