Education What do you do?

Discussion in 'General' started by Yariko, 20 Jun 2013.

1. Digi

Digi The not-so-funny Cockney

Sounds very similar to me, apart from the BA - I was thrown out of college @ 17 and never went further, massive regret!
    Just gotta try and stay positive..

G0UDG, Teelzebub and YEHBABY like this.
  2. Lance

Lance Ender of discussions.

I am a private accountant for a High Net worth individual.

Basically we run his private finances, donations, estates etc, and my main role is purchase and sales ledger with a bit of financial controller thrown in.

I am training through CIMA which is a Charted Institute of Management Accountants.

I have to say I really enjoy my work, as the person I work for is a very interesting character.

3. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

Yep, a little extra money would help that along nicely :)

Sounds fun mate - do you mind me asking how you ended up in that role?

4. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Right now I am a third year medical student (fourth year soon!) at a London university, on the graduate entry programme. I will qualify in approximately 18 months, and start working as a Foundation doctor in two years. Long term I intend to go in to paediatric medicine (rather than surgery) on the run-through training programme. If all goes to plan I should make consultant by the age of around 43-45.

Whilst training, I'll most likely undertake an MSc in Paediatrics & Child Health, followed by the MD qualification (the UK one, not the US) and maybe a PhD.

As for qualifications, I have a BA(Hons) Photography, a PgCert Clinical Photography and a raft of excellent A Levels and GCSEs. I've worked for the NHS for three years, as well as freelance photography (press, PR, commercial), as well as being an alcohol licence holder/bar manager at music festivals for about six years (although I lack the time to do this now). Oh, and I dabbled in architecture for a few years at the very start, before deciding it wasn't for me.

5. Lance

Lance Ender of discussions.

One weeks work experience for a family friend 3 years ago. They saw potential in me and kept me on started my training and got me doing different projects. It helped that the person doing my role moved at the same time.

I started out creating crazy spreadsheets that upload mass data to Sage & process invoices in an easier way but these days I've pretty much done all of those projects so I just use the sheets that I spent the first year building, and so do my colleagues. Moving forward I'm going to start running the management accounts for the smaller companies.

6. Tomhyde1986

Tomhyde1986 What's a Dremel?

Software test analyst in an agile team for a major power company. These days I focus roughly half my efforts on test execution with a focus on UAT and the other half is split between managing my off shore team and requirement clarification and other communications with the business.

I'm amazingly non technical at times. Odd in many ways considering my engineering background. I know next to nothing about programming for instance although I find thats not really a big problem. As a result I often wonder if I'm in the wrong job but I actually quite enjoy it. it at least is stable employment in a big company with prospects

7. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

Pre-Sales technical consultant for a notable storage vendor.

I essentially evangelise about our stuff, show the client/partner how doing it our way saves millions and adds business value (and is so much more clever than our competitors ways... this is easy though, because it is :p), pen out a solution for the customer and after they've (hopefully) bought it, keep in touch as a strategic advisor.

I've been in the saddle for a few months now and enjoying it immensely, coming from the opposite side of the fence (Chief Architect for Storage and Data Protection for a similarly notable Systems Integrator). I made the move as I was getting less and less technical/strategic and more operational by the day, which wasn't a direction I wanted to move in (e.g. digging through spreadsheets to make a business case showing that automating task 22.4 in workflow 16B would save .016 FTE for a time to payoff of only 14 months... sigh)

8. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

I just had my last day of school yesterday. At least it didn't break me as much as I thought it would. :D

Hopefully college will be better!

9. kelvinb

kelvinb BF3 Username - D0rmarth

I work for Arrow Electronics in the Value recovery. As the business development and compliance officer for UK and Europe

I provide clients with an IT asset disposal service (end of life or redundant IT) dealing with their data security (data sanitation) recycling and also re marketing which means we buy their old equipment. Interesting job as their are so many risks and my job is to make my clients feel warm and fuzzy knowing I take all the data risks away and also make they look good by giving them lots of money for old equipment they no longer need/use. Oh don't forgot its green to thumbs up for recycling and reusing :)

10. Darkwisdom

Darkwisdom Level 99 Retro Nerd

Father of Two Daughters, living with the missus as well.

I'm also a serial Hobbyist who runs a small business in and around my hometown. I deal with Electronics, PCs which includes; System building, Overclocking services, modding services, networking and set up.

11. Fishlock

Fishlock .o0o.

Not a truer word said. I'm a copper in the UK and it's bad enough here.

If I could secure myself a nice pub restaurant I'd leave tomorrow.

12. Yariko

Yariko What's a Dremel?

Sounds pretty darn good when compared to the fact that you could possibly be accountant on some big ass corporate business. Sweet. :rock: :thumb:

Haha, sounds like I have to move my ass there too if I can't find job locally after I graduate from uni. We are going to make millions by eating noodles, dude! :clap:

You'll get p0wn3d in c0ll3g3 dud3! Good luck with it. :thumb:

Last edited: 20 Jun 2013
  13. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Just goes to show that Pot Noodles == Profit.