Motherboards PC failing to boot (Also in Tech Support, but posting here for more help!)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by chris182, 9 Jul 2013.

1. chris182

chris182 What's a Dremel?

I know I don't generally check Tech Support, so in case anyone is lazy like me I thought I'd post this here too just to maximise exposure (mods feel free to give me a slap on the wrist if I've been a naughty boy! ;) )

Hi everyone,

I've been having a few problems with my PC recently. It's the one in my sig.

First off it wouldn't output signal from my GPU so after trying it in a few different machines and PCIe slots I sent that off for an RMA.

That has just arrived back today and after installing it my PC BSODs during boot and constantly boot cycles (the BSOD only flashes up, so I can't get an error code off it).

I tried again with a different GPU I have lying around (an old quadro) and had the same problem.

I removed both GPUs planning on running it without a GPU as had been doing while this one was in Germany however now the PC won't boot at all. I get to the Windows failed to start normally screen, tell it to continue to Windows, my screen goes blank and then I get the POST screen again. This will continue until I power off my PC.

To me this seems like there may be an issue with my motherboard, but I want to get a few more opinions before I start an RMA there.

Thanks in advance!

Chris

2. Instagib

Instagib Minimodder

What is your psu? Is it a good brand? What's it rated power output? How old is it?

Just checking as well; I assume you set ahci for the boot SSD in the bios. Have you made sure that the board hasn't set itself back to defaults and is trying to run the SSD in IDE mode?

chris182 likes this.
  3. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

Drop that overclock back to stock everything and try it with onchip graphics. Sounds like your OC is on the ragged edge to me.

If that works, add in a discreet GPU and if successful, add in the second.

chris182 likes this.
  4. chris182

Corsair CX750W PSU, and no OC currently. Will check the BIOS settings though as I did clear the CMOS, so that's potentially a very good idea!

Cheers

5. chris182

And we have lift off. Seems I forgot to change back to RAID / AHCI mode!

Thanks for the help!

+rep to both of you (and to the person who helped me in TS!)