Windows Win 7 reboot / chkdsk loop

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by TSDAdam, 16 Aug 2013.

1. TSDAdam

TSDAdam Beard!

For some reason, the computer I built a couple of years back has taken to doing an odd reboot loop.

It had been working fine, but now when I turn it on it POSTs as normal, starts to load Windows (7 Home Premium 64bit), but when it gets to the point where it would normally show the login screen it jumps to chkdsk. It goes through the tests, often saying it's fixing things, then restarts. After restarting, it does the same thing again, ad nauseum.

When it starts chkdsk is says 'press any key to skip/cancel', but pressing a key on the keyboard does nothing.

I've tried using the install disc to do a repair, but it doesn't make any difference.

I've run the samsung HDD test tools from the ultimate boot cd which have come back with no errors. I've also run memtest from a flash drive and left it running for over 100 hours. In that whole time it did give two errors, but I don't think that's responsible for causing the constant reboot loop. The worst I ever used to get was an occasional BSOD/reboot.

Any ideas? It's driving me spare. I'd rather not have to, but the only option after this is to boot a linux livecd and backup anything super-essential to an external HDD.

Thanks in advance.

2. saspro

saspro IT monkey

TSDAdam likes this.
  3. TSDAdam

TSDAdam Beard!

I'll have a check later, I can't remember if I can get to safe mode or not. Here's hoping!

4. TSDAdam

TSDAdam Beard!

Nope, no joy :(

If I boot into safe mode, it takes as long as it would do to get to desktop/login, then immediately reboots without warning.

I noticed that when safe mode was loading, I got some graphical corruption across the top of the screen.

[​IMG]

This led me to think that maybe it was a problem with my gpu (GTX460), so I unplugged it, reset the bios and loaded into safe mode with the onboard gfx instead. Exactly the same thing happens, and I get the same corruption/artefacts at the top.

Any more ideas anyone? :(

5. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

press f8 turn off automatic restart on blue screen, see what blue screen error pops up

6. Pookie

Pookie Illegitimi non carborundum

Did you run memtest on each stick? or while all the DIMMS were in? If you have errors on the RAM then yes this could be the cause. Isolate the offending module and remove it then try booting the machine.

7. murraynt

murraynt Modder

Did you try putting a 7 disk in and doing a system restore?