Cases Case with upside down top PSU

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by MattP, 5 Oct 2013.

1. MattP

MattP What's a Dremel?

Hi everyone, I'm planning a new build but I'm having a hard time choosing a case. I've just bought a passive PSU that needs to be mounted with the top vent upwards (basically the vent that usually draws air in with a fan is the output vent).

Are there any decent cases that have this feature? Tried searching but couldn't find anything. :(

2. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Its mostly the design of older cases really. Am I right in saying the TJ08 E has this feature though?

3. MattP

MattP What's a Dremel?

Aha, that's exactly what I mean. The problem is, my mobo is ATX, so the case is too small.

4. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

That is the only one I can think of. Might be time to replace the PSU instead of the case. I don't see the point in passive PSUs anyway - my PSU is basically silent at idle.

5. MattP

MattP What's a Dremel?

Haha, there's no way I'm replacing the PSU - I just bought it and it hasn't even arrived yet :D

Might need to build a custom case if I can't find a suitable one.

6. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

@MattP: and where is the problem with putting it in the case with bottom mounted PSU ? You know, that is actually the way they are meant to be used, especially the Seasonic X PSU. They create only very limited amount of heat, and no system which needs ATX PSU can be trully passive, so the single outtake fan will handle the bit of extra heat just fine.

7. MattP

MattP What's a Dremel?

The PSU is a SeaSonic Platinum 520w passive. I'd prefer to have it top-mounted and top-vented because it would mean that the little heat it does generate would be vented straight out of the case, rather than towards the GPU.

8. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

Absolutely pointless. At 100%, that PSU has an efficiency of 91.3% for 110V, and around 94-95% for 230V.

But let's say you have that 91.3% efficiency. At full 520W load, we talk about 569.55W pulled from the socket - that means 49.55W losses in PSU which are converted to heat. At full load! And in 230V countries, we are probably talking about 93% or higher, which brings it down to 559.13W - only 39.13W converted to heat.

Simply put - forget about the top mounted PSU position with hole at top, and instead search for a case which has other features you actually need, and only check if the PSU can be bottom mounted.

But if you insist : http://www.scan.co.uk/products/antec-solo-ii-quiet-mini-tower-atx-case-without-psu-black-silver, http://www.silentpcreview.com/antec-solo2

9. MrTeal

MrTeal Minimodder

SilverStone Fortress FT04 and Raven RV04 are both supposed to be scaled up versions of the TJ08-E; supporting ATX motherboards.

10. MattP

MattP What's a Dremel?

Excellent, thanks for the suggestions both of you. I do like that Antec Solo II - looks like quite a nice case. However, I'll just weight up my options to make sure that it's worth having the PSU at the top. Cheers!